• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cutting Centers for Chocolate Dipping

bbrizend

Hello All,

I'm looking for any tips you may have on cutting centers for hand-dipped chocolates.  I am a small, home-based operation and I make centers that sometimes includes things like nuts.  Up to this point I've been using a rather large cheese knife to cut up 12"X12" forms of centers but it's a bit of a hassle as the knife tends to stick to the centers and needs frequent cleaning.  I should also note that I typically spray the knife with non-stick spray to reduce the sticking.  I was wondering if a guitar/confectionery cutter might be a good investment.  My hesitation is 1) the cost and 2) I'm not sure if it will handle centers with inclusions or not.  Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the cutter or better ways to go about portioning the centers prior to dipping?

Thanks,

Brian

I don't think a guitar would do well with nuts, you want a uniform softer consistency or wires will break.  Are your centers mostly ganache, caramel, or fondant?

Some people like silicone molds.

If only a few centers have nuts, a guitar may still be worth it.  You could also consider changing the nut flavors to something smoother and easier to cut then garnishing with nuts on top to keep the crunch factor.

To underline what pastrygirl said, you want to avoid centers with nuts or anything that like that when using a guitar.  I speak from experience--and needed pastrygirl's expert help and her video to repair the broken wire (not a task you want to perform more than once).  I also second the idea of using nut pastes for the flavor (hazelnut praline paste is readily available commercially, you can make your own almond and pecan).  When I'm making a piece with hazelnut, paired with another flavor, such as coffee or black currant, I use paste then add a toasted hazelnut on top.  But the guitar is the only way to go if you want perfect squares or rectangles (or even triangles).  I used a long chef's knife for years, and there is just no way to avoid smushing the squares or melting them with a hot knife or ending up with them distorted from the intended shape.  I should add that a guitar handles crushed feuilletine without a problem, and that adds a great crispy, caramelly texture/taste. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A good option for a home chef is the Martellato mini-guitar cutter.  It will allow you to cut slabbed ganaches (or other centers) that are 250x250mm (vs i think 350x350 for a regular guitar cutter).  I use one and it is just wonderful and satisfying.  Very high quality, just like the professional versions.  It' snot cheap for what it is, but it is much cheaper than the full size cutter.  Fewer options for sizing, but enough for the home chef.  I just use a 22 mm frame and can get 64 perfect centers from a slab (49 if I use the Martellato frame system, which for some reason is 240x240 - I'd recommend making your own frames from plastic sheets).  Also, you'll still have issues with centers that have nuts, but that will be true with any guitar cutter.