• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gas Range Advice, Please

MassWineGuy

10 hours ago, MassWineGuy said:

Thank you, but I was in no way offended. Yale is where I bought my POS Garland (not Viking). I will never pay more than $1,000 for another range, if that. 

Does Garland even make home ranges?  I think not.  I looked at Yale's website and they do not sell Garland.

Edited by gfweb (log)

My understanding is that Garland attempted to enter the consumer market but shortly after decided to step back, at that time Prizer-Painter Stove Works got into an agreement to take over the endeavor, keeping the open burner configuration.

But I may be wrong, I usually am. Just ask my wife, she'll tell you. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I was serious about the $69 Paragon.

Paragon induction single counter hob is no longer available. I have not a clue about the full history but sometime around 2017 they bailed and took their losses? Took their failure and unloaded the remaining stock to the retailer at the 69$, then 59$ price tag. When they launched they were 299$. I was tempted at the 69$ price point but the reviews were so horrid. A fear of loving it, then it fails too soon. Then I need a couple back-ups---. Like my LittleProPlusCuisinart that was discontinued in the early 90's. I have two NIB back ups when I see them on e-bay cheap. 

1 hour ago, Annie_H said:

Paragon induction single counter hob is no longer available. I have not a clue about the full history but sometime around 2017 they bailed and took their losses? Took their failure and unloaded the remaining stock to the retailer at the 69$, then 59$ price tag. When they launched they were 299$. I was tempted at the 69$ price point but the reviews were so horrid. A fear of loving it, then it fails too soon. Then I need a couple back-ups---. Like my LittleProPlusCuisinart that was discontinued in the early 90's. I have two NIB back ups when I see them on e-bay cheap. 

I don't recall bad reviews (except from @Anna N) however I use my Paragon almost every day, and so far nothing has gone wrong.  Should it ever fail I have two spares.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

What I meant was---I wish I ordered three when the price was 59-69$. I thought they would fix the issues and have a second roll out. 

You got a gold one. No bugs like most. I'm just jealous, not being critical at all. 

I see NIB on e-bay but not cheap.

I have back-up spares of favorite appliances. Nice to know I am not alone. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CentralMA said:

My understanding is that Garland attempted to enter the consumer market but shortly after decided to step back, at that time Prizer-Painter Stove Works got into an agreement to take over the endeavor, keeping the open burner configuration.

But I may be wrong, I usually am. Just ask my wife, she'll tell you. 

I think that's about right. Garland had Prizer making their residential ranges from 1991 to around 2002 (at least 2002 is when Prizer took over the business and launched the Bluestar brand). They did get to hang onto some of Garland's IP to make the burners. But the burners aren't identical; they don't even look alike, aside from the star shape. 

I don't know exactly why Garland got out of the home business. Just about everyone does. I think if you're used to selling equipment and services to businesses, dealing with homeowners is just too big a big a pain in the ass. The rules are different. And also Garland changed ownership many times over the years; this might have coincided with it. 

• Like 2

Notes from the underbelly

On 10/21/2021 at 12:04 PM, paulraphael said:

One of the sales guys at an appliance store confirmed the suspicion of many people here: the thing that fails is the logic board. Never mind that it's possible to have a reliable logic board in a fighter plane or space shuttle. The appliance companies seem to cheap out on this, and put as little engineering into it as possible. Cheap electronics + heat + moisture = gambling. 

It strikes me that, for longevity, it might well be better to go with a standalone range where at least the electronic controls are at the back — no chance of water spilling on them, at least, and probably much less intense heat than at the front.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't add anything to the OP's question, I don't care for what I see in stores/on websites for the price range.

We'll be leaving California when our new house to retire in is finished (California is butt-ugly expensive to retire in). I will be having a 30" open burner Blue Star RCS installed in our kitchen. I've waited a long time to own this stove. Since the open burner version doesn't have the broiler in the oven, we purchased an Oster French Door Toaster et al oven. We put it into immediate use in our current kitchen. We don't actually use a broiler all that often but still wanted one for when we do want a broiler.

• Like 5

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

15 hours ago, Porthos said:

I can't add anything to the OP's question, I don't care for what I see in stores/on websites for the price range.

We'll be leaving California when our new house to retire in is finished (California is butt-ugly expensive to retire in). I will be having a 30" open burner Blue Star RCS installed in our kitchen. I've waited a long time to own this stove. Since the open burner version doesn't have the broiler in the oven, we purchased an Oster French Door Toaster et al oven. We put it into immediate use in our current kitchen. We don't actually use a broiler all that often but still wanted one for when we do want a broiler.

Are you leaving us to wonder where you're headed?

And congratulations on the Blue Star!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Are you leaving us to wonder where you're headed?

Arizona. Better cost of living but still less than a day's drive to see the grandbabies.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 1 month later...

I've not really utilized the broiler on my Wolf range to any extent. I've used it to heat up the steel for baking pizza, a la modernist something, but to cook a hunk of protein a la steak house - nah.

But I had this rather humongous grass-fed "steak:" Over 2 libs. about 1.25" thick.

IMG_5884.thumb.jpeg.2ef99ec18b10c7166d0ecc7360eb978c.jpeg

And something got into me. So, I cranked the broiler (there's only one temp - ON)...

IMG_5885.thumb.jpeg.e9d98197c72d44191558e18a9fa0e8b9.jpeg

3 minutes a side. And then an extra minute to finish.  It really should've gone for another minute or even two, giving me a little more temp, but I was kinda worried about overcooking it; didn't come close to that.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?