• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gas Range Advice, Please

MassWineGuy

My old Viking keeps breaking and I want to replace it. But definitely not with a super high end, expensive range. Can anyone please recommend a good 30 inch range with at least one very hot burner and not too much electronic gadgetry for less than $1,000? Reliability is paramount. 

Thanks very much. 

At that price point, your best bet is probably something from the Amana, Maytag, GE lines.  But it's hard to find any of them with zero electronics, though I love having zero electronics in my range.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

At that price point, your best bet is probably something from the Amana, Maytag, GE lines.  But it's hard to find any of them with zero electronics, though I love having zero electronics in my range.

Of these, is any better made than another? Or are they all cheap junk?

You bring up an interesting issue...are they all cheap junk?

Basically , yes.  The big box retailers demand a low low price...which comes at a cost of quality.  The brands compete on "features" that are actually pretty worthless and error prone.

I wonder if a bottom level (ie no features)  kind of range that a landlord would put in a college apartment would be more reliable than a 1K GE range with all the electronics.

• Like 1

I'd have a hard time telling you which is the best; I also would look at Whirlpool, Frigidaire, et al.

Yale Appliances has a couple of locations in Massachusetts, and are pretty highly regarded in the appliance selling world. Why not give them a call and see what they have to say?

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

You bring up an interesting issue...are they all cheap junk?

Basically , yes.  The big box retailers demand a low low price...which comes at a cost of quality.  The brands compete on "features" that are actually pretty worthless and error prone.

I wonder if a bottom level (ie no features)  kind of range that a landlord would put in a college apartment would be more reliable than a 1K GE range with all the electronics.

I certainly think all the features that they add come at a cost of quality.  But I do think the basic, very few features range offered by many of the big brands will work just fine.

There are two brands which I've seen a lot in my NYC apartment dwelling days...Premier and Avanti. They work.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Of these, is any better made than another? Or are they all cheap junk?

Keep in mind that many of these are made in the same factory by a manufacturer who makes private label.  This is very common in the appliance industry.

Keep in mind that many of these are made in the same factory by a manufacturer who makes private label.  This is very common in the appliance industry.

Right. I had to replace washer & dryer within  last 2 years and my guy I trust said most all made in Korea and brand names irrelevant. Not that that is bad but the old "trust your Maytag - never see repair guy" - not so much anymore. My guy says expect 5 year life. If you get more - bonus.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Blue Star is most certainly not "formerly viking".

It was formerly Blodgett...or bought their castings or something.

Not Viking.

When I bought it my Blue Star (not Viking, sorry) the company had recently taken over the consumer line from Viking. At least that’s how it was explained to me. 

When I bought it my Blue Star (not Viking, sorry) the company had recently taken over the consumer line from Viking. At least that’s how it was explained to me. 

I can find no mention of this on a google search.

So you have a BS or a Viking?

My advice is to stay away from Frigidaire.  I have a kitchen full of their products (installed by previous owner) and would not recommend one of them.  More specifically the gas cooktop is hard to light and doesn't not seem hot enough.  And, the double wall ovens take forever to heat and seem to cook slow.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bbrizend said:

My advice is to stay away from Frigidaire.  I have a kitchen full of their products (installed by previous owner) and would not recommend one of them.  More specifically the gas cooktop is hard to light and doesn't not seem hot enough.  And, the double wall ovens take forever to heat and seem to cook slow.

However, here we were asked specifically about a range for under $1K.

The issue with giving any advice is that (here, so far at least) there's not a preponderance of evidence for ranges at this price point, with the features the OP is asking for. 

Add to that this fact (and I'm just wild guessing here)...every single manufacturer of even high-end stuff will have a certain number of unhappy customers. Be it a car by Ferrari or a Mercedes or BMW; be it a dishwasher by Miele or Bosch or ASKO; be it a range by BlueStar or Wolf or AGA; the list goes on.

So one person's dissatisfaction with a product they own, while certainly not to be discounted, is not necessarily the best way to make a decision.

Instead, the OP should read reviews, ask on boards like this, talk to knowledgable salespeople, find out what repair frequencies look like, etc. etc. And after compiling that info, a more informed decision ought be easier to make.

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I would be very surprised if quality control was significantly higher for ranges of $2,000 and more. Unless something is handmade by one or two skilled craftsmen or craftswomen, quality can be a toss up. 

I thought this would be a good place to ask. Although it sounds like most here have very high end stuff, I believe strongly that with cooking and most other things, it’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian. 

29 minutes ago, MassWineGuy said:

I believe strongly that with cooking and most other things, it’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian. 

Quite often the case.  I cooked for many years on a Crapmaster 3000. 24" wide. No hood. In NYC, you often make do.

I feel that with the "high-end stuff" one can do more, consistently. And boil water a heck of a lot faster on 18K BTUs than on 9.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

In 1995, I moved into a new construction townhouse with builder grade appliances. I think the "big" burner was 10K BTUs.  Took forever to boil a pan of water. I promptly replaced it with the least expensive non-faux-pro model that had a 15K burner.  It happened to be a GE, same as the original. No fancy electronics stuff, just a digital clock and timer.  Worked fine for me for 16 years and it's still going but I'm not sure my experience with a 25 YO model is helpful to the OP seeking recs for current models.  

When I bought my current place, I put in a Wolf gas cooktop and KitchenAid electric wall ovens so no match for the OP's query but the Wolf taught me that burners that can maintain a nice low simmer might be as valuable to me as the high power one.  My GE sucked at maintaining low simmers. 

• Like 4

My parents upgraded their appliances about 5 yrs ago. After 60 years of electric coil type low end stoves. We have visited twice a year forever and I have managed fine.---I cook for them when visiting as a treat and manage to fill their freezer.  Same with houses we rent when traveling. 

They purchased the Fridgidare they consider fancy compared to previous stoves. They eat really well but very basic. Food is fuel to them. Mostly steam and boil, simmer. 

The 1,000 to 1,500 range is quite a bit better than the apartment/builder grade coil stoves. 

This had dials for temp. Just a clock and timer electronic. BTU's are up there. The front left simmer needs an iron 'topper' disc I keep forgetting to pick up for them. Mom has been burning things. 

This one...

1661264387_fridgedarestove.thumb.png.85f4271b11aafa83e1d29910cc3f366c.png

It seems fine and others similar get decent reviews. I tried to talk them out of it and to consider induction but they are in their 90's now and could not understand the concept. 

Definitely get the 5 year extended warranty on any stove and make sure it can be repaired locally in a timely manor. (yeah right). 

We purchased the first gallery series 20 yrs ago that was a lemon. Moved from that loft but it was replaced twice---the entire stove. Within 24 hours. The electronic control panel would burn out and so many did the same they didn't bother repairing since the part was so backed up at that time. That major flaw seems to be fixed now. 

Personally I don't have high end appliances. I just needed to replace the old when we bought this place. Better than basic but not SubZero or BlueStar. Never once a service needed in ten years. (knock on forehead). Expensive repair visits would piss me off. 

So I understand taking a break from an endless repair issue and looking at a mid-priced new appliance might be attractive right now. 

I think that's a pretty nice range.

Though I will disagree on buying any extended warranties.  If you use a good credit card, that should double the manufacturer's warranty.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I have had this gas stove for probably....ugh.  I'm bad with time...but 3 or 4 years maybe 5.  General Electric.

thumbnail_IMG_1417.jpg.4a7388fbe6fbf3c56d35d12e0e7bd01d.jpg

I, too, tried to find one without electronics, but it was impossible unless I wanted to spend more money than I wanted to.  I'm really happy with it.  It has five burners,  the two front big ones are  high boil burners.  The middle one is awesome--it comes with a griddle insert that you can see in the link.  I had to buy the grate that I'm showing separate, but I'm glad I did.  It's great for big pots or canning.

thumbnail_IMG_1418.jpg.a6eef399ee3beb50c59178594fc698e0.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1420.jpg.6ed477fdf16988af83d78cc1919f01d3.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1419.jpg.6c938c01ebeecec2194495d97df3a26a.jpg

I know it's just under $1000...I think it was a bit cheaper a few years ago, but times have changed as we all know.

I like that I can remove the grates and throw them in the dishwasher to get grease off.  

I hope I'm not jinxing myself by touting this lol.

edited to say that it's 30"

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 6