• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Infusing sweetened condensed milk

cc.canuck

I am a big fan of Greweling's soft caramel recipe using condensed milk but don't get on with the evaporated milk recipe. I'd like to make coffee caramels using the condensed milk recipe but am wondering if infusing condensed milk with ground coffee and then staining the coffee out will work? I'm imagining it would be a very sticky and difficult process! Anyone done this before?

I've done the condensed milk caramels plenty of times with coffee, I generally use the Starbucks instants and have had good results. 

The recipes does include water, and though I haven't tried it, I don't see why you couldn't also brew some concentrated coffee and measure that out for your water. 

• Like 1

I've infused ground coffee into milk and cream for making coffee ice cream. It's possible to get much better flavor than you'd ever get from instant coffee. But it's got to be coffee that has flavors that you like, and you need to get the infusion times and temperatures right. I outline some of my methods (product of a lot of trial and error)in a coffee ice cream post. Sweetened condensed milk is probably going to change things up quite a bit, due to the higher concentrations of everything. Also, sugar syrup is a powerful solvent for some compounds. This might affect the flavor balance you get from the coffee, and possibly even the amount of coffee you need to use. I think it's worth experimenting, at least if coffee is a dominant flavor in what you're doing, and you've got some time to kill. And some good coffee.

Notes from the underbelly