Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cocktail set


miamiparis
 Share

Recommended Posts

I went to the opening party of a Jaguar Land-Rover dealership. They gave me a cocktail set. Please look at the components here in the pictures.

I have 2 questions:

1) What is the use of the 2 black rubber balls that can be opened?

2) There is already a strainer on top of the shaker, so what would be the use of the 4-Prongs Stainless Steel Bar Strainer? Does it strain better than the strainer on top of the shaker?

I understand that if I use the 4-Prongs Stainless Steel Bar Strainer, I have to remove the cap of the shaker, I cannot use both strainers.

IMG_20211015_115942.jpg

IMG_20211015_175433.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

The big balls don’t melt as fast so your drink stays cold but not diluted.  Think scotch whisky.

I have this set.  I particularly like the golf balls...dh was a lover of golf.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can also use the Hawthorne strainer (with the prongs) for stirred drinks like martinis. If you want less stuff like ice shards and citrus gunk in your shaken cocktails pour from the cap through a mesh strainer.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 11:02 PM, Okanagancook said:

The big balls don’t melt as fast so your drink stays cold but not diluted.  Think scotch whisky.

 

And because they don't melt into the drink, they can't get the drink anywhere near as cold. So this kind of thing is used more for cooling scotch (or something similar) just a bit. Not for really chilling a drink like you do when stirring or shaking.

Notes from the underbelly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use the big ice balls for my cocktails.  I put some regular ice in the glass first followed by vodka from the freezer, the the ice balls.

 Drink gets cold faster withe addition of the ice cubes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, paulraphael said:

 

And because they don't melt into the drink, they can't get the drink anywhere near as cold. So this kind of thing is used more for cooling scotch (or something similar) just a bit. Not for really chilling a drink like you do when stirring or shaking.

 

This is something that many people don't realise. Most of the cooling comes from heat of melting, not merely from the initial cold temperature of the ice. That's why whisky stones don't do much. You would be better off keeping the bottles in the fridge.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, haresfur said:

 

This is something that many people don't realise. Most of the cooling comes from heat of melting, not merely from the initial cold temperature of the ice. That's why whisky stones don't do much. You would be better off keeping the bottles in the fridge.

Reminds me of a good friend addicted to very cold iced tea, She ordered some metal straws thinking"ooh super cold". Her husband bust a gut :Majella - metal is a heat sink so you are effectively drinking warmer tea!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...