• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mini Meltinchoc opinions

cc.canuck

Hi there. I am considering buying a Mini Meltinchoc to help with some issues I'm having with my process but wanted to get some opinions on it first. I've heard the temperature is inaccurate but that's pretty much it.

What I would be using it for is dipping biscuits and caramels. I'm finding that my chocolate is becoming over tempered during the dipping process (quicker with caramels than biscuits because the former have been cooled before dipping) and my attempts to keep it at the correct temperature using a microwave have not been particularly successful. Would the mini meltinchoc help with this issue and make my workflow easier? I'd ideally like to be able to dip at least 40 biscuits or caramels in a session.

Thanks for any advice! 

I picked up one at Kerekes in the bargain bin last time I was in NYC. I use it at trade shows - holds 34C reliably for my EZtemper demos. 

My only thought - it’s kind of deep for dipping. I prefer a shallower bowl- but that’s me.

Like any warmer - tempered chocolate will thicken over time as it becomes overtempered.