• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What pans do you like for broiling?

paulraphael

We're finally getting a new range, and it will be the first time I've ever had anything with a useable broiler. What do you like to broil in? 

I have the ugly generic enameled broiler pan that shipped with our current range (probably 40+ years ago). These just seem like messy things to clean.

I assumed there would be a standard heavy wire rack that would sit in a half-sheet pan for this purpose. But when I search for things like commercial broiler rack I get nothing. There are some similar things called baking racks that double as cooling racks. Not sure what the real intent is. It seems like in restaurants they just slide a pan or sizzle platter under the salamander and call it done. Is this the best approach? If I need nothing, so much the better.

Notes from the underbelly

I like broiling. Grew up with enameled PITA one for the many times a week steaks. I use a heavy sheet pan with the foil crinkled up if I want to elevate the broilee. Big fan of minimal cleanup. Have fun playing. Our 99 Cent store sells 25ft grilling foil (wide as a sheet pan) for 99 cents. Regular works too. Should you use the enameled pan my mom's trick was immediately sprinkle with Ajax/Comet and set damp paper towels on top. Wipe clean with ease. Do collects the liquid from the under pan first for enriching things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paulraphael said:

It seems like in restaurants they just slide a pan or sizzle platter under the salamander and call it done. Is this the best approach

I pretty much think this is it. Or your other method with a rack in a half or quarter sheet pan.

2 hours ago, paulraphael said:

I assumed there would be a standard heavy wire rack that would sit in a half-sheet pan for this purpose. But when I search for things like commercial broiler rack I get nothing.

Just checked the broiler rack that came with my range. It's as you suggest above...I should probably use it.

IMG_5069.thumb.JPG.ae1e0bb0ba9d2d442518c42d3a5f98b9.JPG

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

11 hours ago, weinoo said:

I should probably use it

Why break the habit of a lifetime? Think of the resale on that shiny piece of kit.

Have you deprived yourself? No.

Keep it clean as a badge of honour.

• Like 1