• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chromedome

chromedome

punctuation

There's nothing "elaborate" about it. :)

If the squashes are sound I roast them, and if they have soft/moldy spots I cut those out, cut what's left into wedges, peel them, and then cut them into rough dice (about 1cm, but I'm not overly fussy about it). Then I give 'em a minute or so in boiling water before I dip them out with a slotted spoon or a spider and shock them. Once they're well-drained I'll freeze them on a parchment-lined sheet pan, and then transfer them to a freezer bag or vacuum sealer bag for storage (vacuum sealing is best, but sometimes I'm lazy).

Delicatas are relatively smaller and thinner, so they'd necessarily make for smaller dice and would probably need less blanching time. I usually cook those or Sweet Dumplings in real time as part of a meal. A favorite of mine is to use them as a container for shirred eggs: Halve and scoop the squash and then cook it until tender, line it with thin-sliced ham of some sort, then crack in your eggs and add a splash of cream and pop 'em back into the oven. For a less time-intensive version, poach the eggs separately and just spoon them into the squash (or simply make a mound of squash on your plate, press a well into it with the back of a spoon, and add the egg).

It's the same kind of sweet-and-savory thing you'd get from having a waffle or pancake along with your egg and ham, but skewed more to savory than sweet (because squash is sweet, but not sugary-sweet if you know what I mean). Also, the yolk oozing into the squash makes it very rich, especially if you melt a pat of butter into the squash first as I do.

chromedome

chromedome

There's nothing "elaborate" about it. :)

If the squashes are sound I roast them, and if they have soft/moldy spots I cut those out, cut what's left into wedges, peel them, and then cut them into rough dice (about 1cm, but I'm not overly fussy about it). Then I give 'em a minute or so in boiling water before I dip them out with a slotted spoon or a spider and shock them. Once they're well-drained I'll freeze them on a parchment-lined sheet pan, and then transfer them to a freezer bag or vacuum sealer bag for storage (vacuum sealing is best, but sometimes I'm lazy.

Delicatas are relatively smaller and thinner, so they'd necessarily make for smaller dice and would probably need less blanching time. I usually cook those or Sweet Dumplings in real time as part of a meal. A favorite of mine is to use them as a container for shirred eggs: Halve and scoop the squash and then cook it until tender, line it with thin-sliced ham of some sort, then crack in your eggs and add a splash of cream and pop 'em back into the oven. For a less time-intensive version, poach the eggs separately and just spoon them into the squash (or simply make a mound of squash on your plate, press a well into it with the back of a spoon, and add the egg).

It's the same kind of sweet-and-savory thing you'd get from having a waffle or pancake along with your egg and ham, but skewed more to savory than sweet (because squash is sweet, but not sugary-sweet if you know what I mean). Also, the yolk oozing into the squash makes it very rich, especially if you melt a pat of butter into the squash first as I do.