• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

I think pumpkin might be another word for the winter squashes and gourds, at least, I've heard it referred to that way in parts of central and eastern europe.

I purchased honeynut squash the other day at the store.  Wow, delicious!

Earlier this year I discovered a recipe on BA that was an egg and dairy free "carbonara".  I tried this for fun, and even made it accidentally vegan by rehydrating dried shiitake mushrooms then frying them until crispy since I didn't have any bacon.  While delicious, it was no carbonara, and if I were to make it again, use a different squash since butternut and kabocha are a bit too sweet.. maybe acorn or spaghetti squash would be better.  Appears to be similar to the risotto posted earlier in this thread.

jedovaty

jedovaty

I think pumpkin might be another word for the winter squashes and gourds, at least, I've heard it referred to that way in parts of central and eastern europe.

I purchased honeynut squash the other day at the store.  Wow, delicious!

Earlier this year I discovered a recipe on BA that was an egg and dairy free "carbonara".  I tried this for fun, and even made it accidentally vegan by rehydrating dried shiitake mushrooms then frying them until crispy.  While delicious, it was no carbonara, and if I were to make it again, use a different squash since butternut and kabocha are a bit too sweet.. maybe acorn or spaghetti squash would be better.  Appears to be similar to the risotto posted earlier in this thread.