• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

On 12/14/2021 at 11:34 PM, scott123 said:

Are the condos at Jockey Hollow really a million bucks?  Yowza, that's a lot for a condo.

Do you know how, in Seinfeld, Jerry's father would like gifts more if they were better deals- and his favorite were items that were stolen?  Well, that's kind of my approach to food.  I'm on an eternal quest to find the most possible bang for my buck.  And these days, it's an uphill battle.  

If you could slum it a bit, I'd love to do a meal sometime :) 

Speaking of slumming it, Masago, in Morristown, has cash only half price sushi.  I'm not sure if I'd consider it a great deal, but, for Morristown, it's pretty competitive. It looks like Minado (Morris Plains) is done, so cheap sushi is even harder to find now.

Update @scott123

Those condos are now around 1.75. Real estate in the area is obscene. 

I’ve been back to 1776 a few times. They have a pre-fixed “power lunch” which is three courses for $29.76. I haven’t ordered from that. Their lunch menu is ok but completely void of steaks which bewildered me. They also have a 2% up charge for using credit. It’s clearly stated on the website and menu so that doesn’t bother me. 

Last time I was there I ordered oysters-/ I think they were beausoleils and whomever shucked them was either pressed into doing to or just an asshole. Every oyster had large chunks of shell. It was really unpleasant. I would have said something but I was treating a friend and didn’t feel it would have been appropriate.

I also don’t get why they have a “sushi” menu. It’s Morristown. There’s a lot of decent sushi places. Give me a nice cut of well aged, well seasoned and perfectly cooked steak (which they have) and I am happy. The sides are bordering being obnoxious. 

That said, the cocktails are solid although the bar is frequently backed up, they have some interesting wines and have a lot of events— I know they’re having a wine dinner soon. 

Be prepared to pay $10 for valet parking (as a woman alone I do not like the adjacent parking garage by Ming and Mendhi) but I avoid that by taking an Uber for less and not having to wait. 

The desserts are awesome. Whomever is their pastry chef is super talented. 

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

On 12/14/2021 at 11:34 PM, scott123 said:

Are the condos at Jockey Hollow really a million bucks?  Yowza, that's a lot for a condo.

Do you know how, in Seinfeld, Jerry's father would like gifts more if they were better deals- and his favorite were items that were stolen?  Well, that's kind of my approach to food.  I'm on an eternal quest to find the most possible bang for my buck.  And these days, it's an uphill battle.  

If you could slum it a bit, I'd love to do a meal sometime :) 

Speaking of slumming it, Masago, in Morristown, has cash only half price sushi.  I'm not sure if I'd consider it a great deal, but, for Morristown, it's pretty competitive. It looks like Minado (Morris Plains) is done, so cheap sushi is even harder to find now.

Ha those condos are now around 1.75. Real estate in the area is obscene. 

I’ve been back to 1776 a few times. They have a pre-fixed “power lunch” which is three courses for $29.76. I haven’t ordered from that. Their lunch menu is ok but completely void of steaks which bewildered me. They also have a 2% up charge for using credit. It’s clearly stated on the website and menu so that doesn’t bother me. 

Last time I was there I ordered oysters-/ I think they were beausoleils and whomever shucked them was either pressed into doing to or just an asshole. Every oyster had large chunks of shell. 

I also don’t get why they have a “sushi” menu. It’s Morristown. There’s a lot of decent sushi places. Give me a nice cut of well aged, well seasoned and perfectly cooked steak (which they have) and I am happy. The sides are bordering being obnoxious. 

That said, the cocktails are solid although the bar is frequently backed up, they have some interesting wines and have a lot of events— I know they’re having a wine dinner soon. 

Be prepared to pay $10 for valet parking (as a woman I do not like the adjacent parking garage by Ming and Mendhi) but I avoid that by taking an Uber for less and not having to wait.