• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Former Masterchef Contestant's Cookbook Pulled.

liuzhou

Copies of Makan, a collection of Singaporean recipes by Elizabeth Haigh, have been withdrawn after suggestions that she ‘copied or paraphrased’ another author

Full story.

If true, and from the quoted examples there are appears to be a strong case, she must be crazy to think she would get away with it.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Full story.

If true, and from the quoted examples there are appears to be a strong case, she must be crazy to think she would get away with it.

What publishing houses do not use the very excellent software programs that detect the slightest plagarism???

• Like 3

1 hour ago, heidih said:

What publishing houses do not use the very excellent software programs that detect the slightest plagarism???

Having used such software in a university environment, I can say it's not 100% reliable. Nowhere near.

They only work if the original is in their database. Far from everything is in any of them.

You're right - I was still smarting from having used  the same phrase in two different papers and getting called on it. But it was in the university's database.  How desperate are people to intentionally do this kind of dumb stuff?

a certain M.Felon

pre-felodious days

published an Rx copied verbatim from

an american's fr cookbook , he living in FR for quite some time

back when.

he sued , he won.

later , M.Felon copied another Rx , as before 

from a second book by the same author .

he sued , he won 

not sure if any of this mattered to M.Felon 

21 minutes ago, rotuts said:

a certain M.Felon

pre-felodious days

published an Rx copied verbatim from

an american's fr cookbook , he living in FR for quite some time

back when.

he sued , he won.

later , M.Felon copied another Rx , as before 

from a second book by the same author .

he sued , he won 

not sure if any of this mattered to M.Felon 

I imagine she had no idea of the plagiarism as I doubt she has any role in writing her books.

I could likewise imagine a disgruntled employee (of which she's had a few) doing it as a little payback to Martha.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3

On 10/11/2021 at 6:53 PM, liuzhou said:

she must be crazy to think she would get away with it.

Of course she thought she could get away with it. It's done every day on the internet and it's called blogging. No one ever calls them out for recipe stealing and plagiarizing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Of course she thought she could get away with it. It's done every day on the internet and it's called blogging. No one ever calls them out for recipe stealing and plagiarizing.

I think the main issue here is more than just stealing a recipe. She also stole personal details of someone else's life. That is despicable.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Interesting - I just saw this now.   I've seen a bunch of her YouTube videos - she seems to have a Singaporean restaurant in London or somewhere like that.  To be honest, of the few things I've seen her make, I haven't been that impressed....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Interesting - I just saw this now.   I've seen a bunch of her YouTube videos - she seems to have a Singaporean restaurant in London or somewhere like that.  To be honest, of the few things I've seen her make, I haven't been that impressed....

Yes. Her restaurant Mei Mei is in London's food destination Borough Market.

The rather sparse website is here.

• Like 1

The whole thing is sad to me.  Others have come forward to call out examples of recipes or text "borrowed" without permission.  All of those whose work was apparently used without acknowledgement are Singaporeans who are less well known than she is.  Haigh, with her Michelin star and higher profile could have chosen to shine a light on these people with whom she shares her roots and showcase their work instead of stealing it and presenting it as her own.  

I suppose it's conceivable that it's the work of a sloppy ghost writer but I haven't seen any reports of that being the case.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I suppose it's conceivable that it's the work of a sloppy ghost writer but I haven't seen any reports of that being the case.  

Which would be the bigger blow to her reputation...a spot of plagiarism or admission that she writes none of her content? Kind of a Hobson's choice.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Haigh, with her Michelin star

She doesn't currently have a Michelin star. The previous restaurant, Pidgin where she was involved did. It no longer does.

Edited by liuzhou (log)