• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greetings from Ontario Canada

Jade S

Hi all,

I'm from a town in Ontario Canada called Whitby which is just east of Toronto. I came across the forums while searching for chocolate tempering machines on Google. My food interests are barbecue (especially cooking with a pellet grill because we have one), chocolate, and cheese. As a matter of fact, I'm currently studying to become a Professional Fromager through George Brown college. I should mention that I'm totally blind. I'm hoping I can gain some valuable knowledge on here.

• Like 2

Welcome Jade to eGullet from yet another living in Ontario.  Near Peterborough.  We know the Whitby/Oshawa area fairly well and have friends living in Whitby.  I can't call myself an Ontarian ... I'm a born Quebecoise from Montreal.  

We don't barbecue but we do eat a lot of chocolate.  I had once hoped to become a chocolatier, but realized I had left it too late in my own life so now I just use a lot of this in as many ways as I can find.  

Hope you enjoy your membership in eGullet.  It has meant the world to me.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Welcome, @Jade S!  I only lurk in the chocolate topics but I have to say that the folks who participate are incredibly knowledgeable and extremely generous in sharing all sorts of tips and techniques.  I hope you'll enjoy sharing in the discussions there and elsewhere here on eGullet. 

On 10/11/2021 at 4:31 PM, TicTac said:

Welcome to the forum.  If you ever need any local 'QC testers' for your cheeses, there are a number of us locals who I am sure would be willing to be your guinea pigs 😛

Well, I've only tried making Ricotta once and it did turn out so that was awesome. I'm not sure if I will pursue cheese making further but if I do I will keep that in mind LOL.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 12:21 PM, TicTac said:

You sure you don't want to just join me on the QC team!? 😛

It's a certificate program through the Centre for Hospitality and Culinary Arts from George Brown College. I have completed 4 of the 6 courses required and I'm just about to start the 5th course this Saturday. All of the classes are currently only online, but I'm thinking things will transition back to in person learning next year. All of the classes have a tasting component to them. The only complaint is the fact that I have had to spend quite a lot of money on cheese for each class. Oh well, I guess it could be worse. I've been introduced to a lot of cheeses that I wouldn't normally try or buy.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Jade S said:

It's a certificate program through the Centre for Hospitality and Culinary Arts from George Brown College. I have completed 4 of the 6 courses required and I'm just about to start the 5th course this Saturday. All of the classes are currently only online, but I'm thinking things will transition back to in person learning next year. All of the classes have a tasting component to them. The only complaint is the fact that I have had to spend quite a lot of money on cheese for each class. Oh well, I guess it could be worse. I've been introduced to a lot of cheeses that I wouldn't normally try or buy.

George Brown has some excellent culinary programs.

Perhaps one day when I retire I will try my hand at cheese making.  I seem to recall some members years ago posting their journals of cheese making journeys and they produced some amazing varieties!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TicTac said:

George Brown has some excellent culinary programs.

Perhaps one day when I retire I will try my hand at cheese making.  I seem to recall some members years ago posting their journals of cheese making journeys and they produced some amazing varieties!

You are not expected to make any style of cheese but you do learn about the various styles and how they are made at least in the online version of the program. Maybe in the in person classes they teach you how to make cheese and have it as a group project and grade it.

One thing you do learn online or in person is how to critique cheese. The tasting portion makes up a big chunk of your final mark in at least 3 of the 6 classes.

• Like 1