• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alternative spray gun options for cocao butter painting that I could purchase without having to sell my left kidney?

Robbie2000

Hi, decorating chocolate molds with cocao butter is something I'm interested in doing, I've tried using smaller guns but I'm interested in totally covering my molds where larger nozzles seem to work best, from what I've heard. My compressor isnt the best, its a 1/5 HP with 3 liter air tank 60 PSI but it gets the job done with patience, however its possible it would be too weak of a system for a larger sprayer. Really have been looking for a 1mm. From what i've heard people find 1mm+ nozzles are easiest to use for this type of work, given the viscosity of cocao butter, but these seem to only be available in larger spray gun products like chef rubber's LvlP Top Gravity Fed Spray. Though products like that are hundreds of dollars and I only want to spend so much for a side-hobby. While It seems pretty easy to find .3mm, .5mm, .8mm food grade airbrush's for under $100, anything 1mm+ on amazon is either HVLP or LVLP for industrial purposes it seems. 

https://www.amazon.com/Auarita-F-3-Painting-Automotive-Finishing/dp/B07ZFW3GP2 

For instance this is LVLP, like chef rubber, and while I'm not able to tell how this mechanically compares to those sold by artisan/food grade sellers ; given it's description and intended use I wouldnt think this would be smart to use on anything edible?

But Do cheap, appropriate options exist for what I'm looking for?

Thanks, folks

Robert

Edited by Robbie2000 (log)

12 hours ago, Robbie2000 said:

Hi, decorating chocolate molds with cocao butter is something I'm interested in doing, I've tried using smaller guns but I'm interested in totally covering my molds where larger nozzles seem to work best, from what I've heard. My compressor isnt the best, its a 1/5 HP with 3 liter air tank 60 PSI but it gets the job done with patience, however its possible it would be too weak of a system for a larger sprayer. Really have been looking for a 1mm. From what i've heard people find 1mm+ nozzles are easiest to use for this type of work, given the viscosity of cocao butter, but these seem to only be available in larger spray gun products like chef rubber's LvlP Top Gravity Fed Spray. Though products like that are hundreds of dollars and I only want to spend so much for a side-hobby. While It seems pretty easy to find .3mm, .5mm, .8mm food grade airbrush's for under $100, anything 1mm+ on amazon is either HVLP or LVLP for industrial purposes it seems. 

https://www.amazon.com/Auarita-F-3-Painting-Automotive-Finishing/dp/B07ZFW3GP2 

For instance this is LVLP, like chef rubber, and while I'm not able to tell how this mechanically compares to those sold by artisan/food grade sellers ; given it's description and intended use I wouldnt think this would be smart to use on anything edible?

But Do cheap, appropriate options exist for what I'm looking for?

Thanks, folks

Robert

This is the thread with the most information on spraying molds.  It is long, but it does contain the accumulated wisdom of eGullet people who do this sort of thing.  The short answer is that under $100 will get you an airbrush (Badger and Paasche are two).  I don't know of any airbrush that has a 1mm nozzle.  To get that, as you discovered, you need to get a spray gun.  They can be had for much less money but do require more air, thus a compressor with more capacity.  I have a compressor with 4.6 gallon  capacity.  It's fine for an airbrush but struggles with a spray gun.  It's the capacity that matters most.  I have a Grex airbrush with a 0.7mm nozzle, and I like it, but it's well above $100.  You will want a gravity-feed airbrush (or spray gun).  So, long story short, you will have to make compromises:  If you go with an inexpensive mini-spray gun, you will need a larger compressor, and you will definitely use more cocoa butter than with an airbrush.  Or buy a more expensive airbrush (such as the Grex) and perhaps get away with your current compressor, although a 0.7 nozzle profits from a better compressor (Grex has details on this).

Edited by Jim D. (log)
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jim D. said:

This is the thread with the most information on spraying molds.  It is long, but it does contain the accumulated wisdom of eGullet people who do this sort of thing.  The short answer is that under $100 will get you an airbrush (Badger and Paasche are two).  I don't know of any airbrush that has a 1mm nozzle.  To get that, as you discovered, you need to get a spray gun.  They can be had for much less money but do require more air, thus a compressor with more capacity.  I have a compressor with 4.6 gallon  capacity.  It's fine for an airbrush but struggles with a spray gun.  It's the capacity that matters most.  I have a Grex airbrush with a 0.7mm nozzle, and I like it, but it's well above $100.  You will want a gravity-feed airbrush (or spray gun).  So, long story short, you will have to make compromises"  If you go with an inexpensive mini-spray gun, you will need a larger compressor, and you will definitely use more cocoa butter than with an airbrush.  Or buy a more expensive airbrush (such as the Grex) and perhaps get away with your current compressor, although a 0.7 nozzle profits from a better compressor (Grex has details on this).

Thank you Jim, this gives me much more perspective. I definitely don't have the compressor to pursue the spraygun option and thats ok for me.

But how dramatic/important do you think the difference is between those $200 Grex airbrushes, and the similar styled yet cheaper ones you see on amazon, for example:  

Yosoo Gravity Paint Spray Gun All-Purpose Gravity Spray Gun Trigger Airbrush with 0.3mm 0.5mm 0.8mm Nozzles Cups Set Kit (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

What makes some airbrushes so much more expensive?

I had not heard of that airbrush, and it looks impressive for the money.  I can't account for the large difference on price except perhaps country of manufacture.  The 0.8mm nozzle would be good.  Two differences I can think of:  The largest cup is 13cc.  If the conversion to milliliters I found online is correct, that is fairly small (it's fine as long as you are spraying a mold or two, but you might get annoyed at having to refill it with more molds).  Grex has a 50mL cup (which translates to 50cc).  A second plus for Grex is their amazing customer service.  The tech support people went beyond expectations to help me with setting up the compressor and airbrush connection (even did a setup and photographed it for me complete with labels on all the many parts and options).  The Grex can handle up to 80psi, but you probably wouldn't need that (most people seem to spray between 30 and 60psi).

If you go with the Yosoo airbrush, I think a review would be a helpful addition to this forum.

• Thanks 1