• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

I know there are many varieties of mangoes for sale, though often here in the United States, the mangoes in stores probably are picked a bit (or more) before they are truly ready.  I've mostly enjoyed the variety called Ataulfo (Honey) here; not as big a fan of the more fibrous Tommy Atkins variety, which is the one I most often see in stores, at street corner vendors, and often sold (outside busy subway stations) already cut up for quick eating out of plastic baggies.

A few days ago I was making my way around the upper east side, and encountered a vendor who happened to be selling these huge, green mangoes. So I bought two.

They are really pretty damn big...

IMG_4975.thumb.JPG.4fd2290e1a362053f2beb71294a8f52e.JPG

And they're the Keitt mango, which ripens green with sometimes a little yellow or red blush.  Virtually fiberless, they are very good. I imagine before they get too ripe that they're good for mango salads. Or pickled mango. A huge amount of flesh in that big boy.

Mango experts or not - weigh in.

weinoo

weinoo

I know there are many varieties of mangoes for sale, though often here in the United States, the mangoes in stores probably are picked a bit (or more) before they are truly ready.  I've mostly enjoyed the variety called Ataulfo (Honey) here; not as big a fan of the more fibrous Tommy Atkins variety, which is the one I most often see in stores, at street corner vendors, and often sold (outside busy subway stations) already cut up for quick eating out of plastic baggies.