• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sloppy key lime pie

Susanwusan

I doubled and followed this recipe, carnation.co.uk/recipes/key-lime-pie-recipe, using the same number of ordinary limes, measuring the juice and using the same amount of bottled lime juice.  I then added a bit more just to use up the bit that was left in the bottle.  I left it in the fridge for a couple of hours but it was still sloppy.  Did the extra lime juice stop the milk and cream from setting or should I have used more?  

Sweetened condensed milk is somewhat thick to begin with.  I suspect that the additional acidity from the extra lime juice made it not set up.  You could add some bloomed gelatin to it if you haven't put it in the crust yet....

I don't have enough experience with agar agar, I tried it a couple times in the past and recall the heating was required to activate, just like the various starches.  I did not know gelatin would gel without being heated.  If you try the gelatin, let us know how it works, I'm really curious!

If you don't want to heat the thing, then maybe your best solution is to try the recipe as is, and if successful, make it in two separate batches.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Gelatin does have to be heated. But you can pre set powdered gelatine to make a  gelatine mass. Bloom in 6x water to gelatine. Nuke to set or water bath. 

Then when you use it just account for the water you use to bloom in your recipe.