• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Risotto?

liuzhou

11 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Yes, quite understood.   But what mushrooms do you choose for risotto?    Do you use mushrooms with a somewhat Italian flavor profile or does this not enter your calculation?

I've never made risotto in China. I made it often in England, but I left there 25 years ago. I just found risotto rice in China this week.

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Strangely I don't like risotto made with meats or seafood. I love artichoke risotto, but I'm getting so lazy about fresh artichokes I don't make if very often. My go-to risotto is fresh tomato, so we eat a lot of that when good ones are in season. Sometimes instead of chicken broth I use a smoky ham broth and that's really fun with heirloom tomatoes, but if I have really flavorful tomatoes I am good with using just water and no stock at all.  I also find I'm happiest when I go light on the cheese and butter. Restaurant risotto is usually too rich for me; I often find restaurants use excess amounts of cheese to make up for lack of flavor. or lack of good rice.  And my standard rice is carnaroli. I'm not adventurous when it comes to breakfast but leftover risotto is a treat.

• 9 months later...
On 9/28/2021 at 12:12 PM, KennethT said:

You could go the Venetian route and do a beef cheek risotto - when my wife was on a wine press trip to the Veneto region, they served it to her and the rest of the group almost every day!  I think duck would do well also, both staying within a traditional style.

I know you are busy hiking and eating in Iceland, but if you have time when you come back, can you elaborate of the beef cheeks risotto?  I have beef cheeks in the freezer.

I'm wondering - is it a risotto which actually contains beef cheeks, or is it a risotto served with braised beef cheeks?

I'm asking because I've made a risotto with ground beef and red wine, but that's a whole different story than making the actual risotto using beef cheek in it.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

32 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I'm wondering - is it a risotto which actually contains beef cheeks, or is it a risotto served with braised beef cheeks?

I'm asking because I've made a risotto with ground beef and red wine, but that's a whole different story than making the actual risotto using beef cheek in it.

I suspect its braised beef cheek atop risotto.

I do something like that with duck confit tossed in reduced balsamic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

@ElsieD @weinoo It's as @gfweb says, braised beef cheek atop risotto - similar to how I've seen osso bucco atop risotto.

So - braise beef cheeks in a manner similar to, well, braised osso buco.

Make a risotto Milanese, serve the braised cheeks atop.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

4 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Yes. Exactly.

This is the best way to do any type of risotto IMO.  Not only can you create a flavour base via the stock but you can then add a big boost of flavour by reducing the main component separately and adding it at the end of the cook or off the heat completely.

I do this with mushroom risotto as well.

• Like 1

What surprises me, Ken ( @KennethT ), is that while they were in the Veneto, the risotto served wasn't some sort of a seafood variation every night.

My guess is that it was much easier to make sure beef cheeks were on hand, rather than depending on the Lagoon.

I happen to really enjoy risotto in the style of the Veneto - seafood risotto all'onda, that is, using Vialone.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

What surprises me, Ken ( @KennethT ), is that while they were in the Veneto, the risotto served wasn't some sort of a seafood variation every night.

My guess is that it was much easier to make sure beef cheeks were on hand, rather than depending on the Lagoon.

I happen to really enjoy risotto in the style of the Veneto - seafood risotto all'onda, that is, using Vialone.

It wasn't just one place. Most of the meals were provided by individual wineries and each winery had no idea what the others were making. Also, they were far away from Venice and the coast - they were in the inland part of Veneto - closer to Verona.