• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Repackaging a can of Peppadew peppers

SweetSymphonybyM

Firstly, I don't know.

However, I have been doing a lot of reading about dehydrating, canning, and vacuum sealing. My guess is that if you divided the contents into bags and froze them, you would be fine. If you plan to re-can them, then you'd have to sterilize the jars and process them as for canning.

The problem is that botulism has no taste or smell.

I'm not sure how long one can keep items in the fridge. I've recently been advised that I'm keeping meats waaaaay too long.

Maybe repost your question here?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SweetSymphonybyM said:

So, I have this huge can of peppadew peppers that I would like to repackage into quarter sized jars. Can I just divide the peppers and the liquid into jars, vacuum seal them, and store in the fridge for 6-7 months? 

I don't know the definitive answer but when in doubt I freeze. Also want to say that I am so envious that you can buy huge cans of peppadews. They are only a specialty deli item in these parts and end up being about $1.00 (Cdn) a piece!

so.... here's the issue.....

"canning" anything with potential botulism spores, requires an acid solution, minimal oxygen, minimal water content.  processing the canned goods over the botulism kill temperature of 240'F

if your "big can" was appropriately "done-to-sterilized-death" - the botulism risk is near zero.

if you can re-use the original liquid, the quart size containers - properly "ore-sterilized," heated and sealed, should be okay.

the original post of "vacuum seal them" does not provide any detail of how that is to happen.

the biggie is reusing the original liquid - which if done commerically, should be okay.

• Thanks 1

On 9/24/2021 at 6:20 PM, MaryIsobel said:

I don't know the definitive answer but when in doubt I freeze. Also want to say that I am so envious that you can buy huge cans of peppadews. They are only a specialty deli item in these parts and end up being about $1.00 (Cdn) a piece!

I got tired of buying them in little packages at Whole Foods, so I found a retailer for large cans online. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 10:03 PM, AlaMoi said:

so.... here's the issue.....

"canning" anything with potential botulism spores, requires an acid solution, minimal oxygen, minimal water content.  processing the canned goods over the botulism kill temperature of 240'F

if your "big can" was appropriately "done-to-sterilized-death" - the botulism risk is near zero.

if you can re-use the original liquid, the quart size containers - properly "ore-sterilized," heated and sealed, should be okay.

the original post of "vacuum seal them" does not provide any detail of how that is to happen.

the biggie is reusing the original liquid - which if done commerically, should be okay.

I was just going to divide the peppers with their original liquid in jars and vacuum seal them in a chamber vacuum sealer and store them in the fridge for ~6 months.