• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sources for cake tins: UK-based

AnC

Hello, I recently did a bit of a stock take of my bakeware and realised that my usual go-to cake tin needs replacing. It's a 9 inch/23cm springform anolon tin which I was very happy with and have had for almost 2 decades but it's been battered about in a few too many house moves and is bent out of shape. But I don't want to replace it with another springform tin - whilst I think they're very practical and great for beginners, I've acquired enough bakeware over the years that I don't need this next cake tin to be as versatile as I originally did when I bought the anolon one. I'd actually much rather have one that bakes as seamless a cake as possible. I do like baking with fixed base tins but, that being said, a loose base tin might be ever so slightly more practical and I'll probably get slightly more use out of it. I'd also like at least a 3 inch deep tin, 4 if possble, again just to get the most use out of it. 

I have found a couple of loose base options that seem like they might be almost seamless  - PME and Masterclass both do a deep loose base tin.

https://www.masterclass.co/bakeware-4/cake-tins-3/non-stick-23cm-loose-base-deep-cake-pan-kcmchb36.htm

https://www.pmecake.com/en-gb/bakeware/aluminium/loose-bottom-pans/Loose-Bottom-Cake-Pan-229x-75mm-9-x-3in/

Alternatively, if I go for a fixed base, PME do a 3 and 4 inch deep version but it seems Invicta is a more professional and seamless choice??? 

https://www.invictabakeware.co.uk/bakeware-and-equipment/cake-tins-assemblies/celebration-cake-tins/round-cake-tins/round-cake-tins-fixed-base/

https://www.pmecake.com/en-gb/bakeware/aluminium/round-pans/Round-Cake-Pan-229-x-76mm-9-x-3in/

Has anyone tried any of these at all and what do you think of them? How seamless are the loose base tins? Is your preference for a fixed or loose base tin? Finally, for any UK based (or UK knowledgable!) members, do you have any other recommendations for cake tins please? I'd prefer not to buy from a 3rd party retailer eg amazon or ebay and because of warranty purposes and ***** (insert expletive of choice!) brexit delivery delays, I'd also prefer not to have to order from an international website but online UK based web shops are fine as are proper shops!

Thank you in advance for all help given!

Do you know Squires Kitchen?  I used to buy a lot of things from them years ago,  it was always good quality merchandise, quick shipping across the pond.  I haven't bought anything in a while from them but I'm still on their mailing list.  They are happy to share their knowledge and make recommendations.

Just from looking at the product pictures, I'd go for the PME bakeware because even if you line the Invicta tin with parchment, cleaning that bottom seam will be tedious.  The first PME link looks like anodized material, which I don't like personally.  You want a heavy duty pan (even as a home baker) and in my experience (with Fat Daddio brand), the anodized finish doesn't make for a good cake.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much for the recommendation - I hadn't heard of Squires Kitchen but have looked it up and they have a couple of other brands to consider too so I'll call them next week to see what they recommend. Could I ask what problems you experienced with the anodised aluminium? I've just checked my cake tins and none of them are the anodised kind but I have a few that are the black non-stick material - I always assumed this was the most inferior material tbh but would you rate anodised aluminium as better or worse than this? 

the Fat Daddio pans create a weird (IMHO) crust; the heat doesn't seem to get through.  Sounds weird I know, but I was so unhappy with the results I stopped using the pans and won't buy that brand any more.  I think the black non stick would be ok (just not for a chiffon type cake, or an angel food where the batter needs to climb the sides of the pan).

Thanks Pete Fred, that's a v useful article. I do love John Lewis but unfortunately they don't have the right type of cake tin at the moment. But I think most brands that they stock are good quality so they're always a starting point for me for whatever I'm looking to buy. The Silverwood pans look promising - if they're good enough for Delia I'm sure I'll be fine with them!