• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cadmium in Chocolate

DJ Silverchild

Hello Fellow Forum Friends!

I am in the cannabis industry and every batch of edibles must be tested for heavy metals. Here in Maine the standard for cadmium in chocolate is lower than european standards, .5mg/kg in Maine, .8mg/kg in Europe. We havent failed yet but came close last week, using the same brand of chocolate we had tested in previous batches. The company i consult for has concerns.

While they LOVE the chocolate they are using, one failed batch could cost thousands so we need options.

Does anyone know of a certified low cadmium chocolate?

No idea.

Do you know the origin of the chocolate you are using?  If S America has more zinc mines or natural deposits of heavy metals than Africa, maybe choc from Ghana would have lower levels than choc from Bolivia?  I'm sure testing is expensive, would it be worth it to test a few different origins?

Have you reached out to the manufacturer to ask them how a variation could occur?  maybe it's a matter of the batch you were using that caused a higher than usual reading?  My guess is that the cannabis industry will be a large purchaser of chocolate and asking the manufacturer to get involved now to help with a solution could be a win-win for you both.  they seem to have a lot of certifications mentioned on their site so....

• Thanks 1