• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truck vs. Trailer ...

PadreANT

I think the title speaks for itself, LOL ... My first post was specifically asking for weights on food trailers, so that I can get a feel for what kind of tow vehicle I would need (1/2 ton or 3/4 ton). But now I guess my researching phase has taken me into another direction ... Starting out, would you all recommend a food truck or trailer, and why? If a 1/2 ton truck would fill the rest of my needs, would getting a drivable food truck be a better option than getting the bigger truck in order to tow a food trailer? This pick-up is going to be my daily driver as well. Or, can I still get away with a 1/2-ton and a food trailer?

I imagine in PA that weather is a consideration. A truck with an awning gives customers some shelter while they wait. What kind of food? Grilling is nice on a trailer as the exposed smells and sizzles entice potential customers.

if you go here:

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/resources/general/pdf/guides/21Towing_Ford_F150_Dec3.pdf

you'll see towing capacity depends largely on engine size.

tongue weight also comes into play - for gooseneck / fifth wheel trailers things are slightly different.

but methinks you've got the horse behind the cart - the weight of a "food trailer" varies greatly by what equipment / etc you need for the foods you want to prep and sell.  they get very heavy, very fast when all the regulatory stuff is added in - water tanks, hot water heater, waste tanks, sanitary surfaces every where, fire suppression systems - it's a long list and every state plus county has its own quirks.

you may be perfectly legal for York County and get nailed to the wall in Bucks County.  when buying, new or used, be sure the seller/builder knows the requirements for the area(s) you intend to operate in and has a written policy about "conformance"

also to note:  anything you sell out of a mobile unit must be prepared in an approved/licensed kitchen. 

you can't make sandwiches or roast brisket in your home kitchen for sale in the unit....

I would suggest you develop the plan of what you want to prep and serve, then see what size trailer or truck you need for that business plan.

• Like 3

What are you making?  Imagine the standalone more practical for changing locations frequently.  The trailer more long term parking.  But as AlaMoi listed, so many factors to consider.     

(I wonder how many folks on here have had the recurring food truck fantasy.  If I had a dollar every time someone told me to launch one I'd have a fleet.  Good luck! ) 

• Haha 1

That wasn't chicken