• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

For no reason celebrations

D-i-l texted me to say that number one grand-daughter and Dad were going on a class camping trip this weekend and could I think up something special for the younger twin siblings left behind.     She said she had set up dual play dates for the morning but what about lunch and a treat.

So we came up with a lavish array of dim sum take out followed by banana splits.    The twins were ecstatic.   They had never heard of much less seen a banana split.   And desserts are rationed in their household.    I figures this had enough fruit to be moderately healthful.    Halved bananas, vanilla, strawberry and chocolate ice cream, chocolate sauce, crushed fresh strawberries, whipped cream.    In the backyard.    A joyous afternoon.

What spur of the moment outrageous concoctions has your family enjoyed?

• Like 11

eGullet member #80.

Oh how great!  I was the looney mom. Boys: we are bored. Me: go look up empanadas  It is US empanada Day. (oh the power of adult authority)  internet yes - smart phones not yet. Stuff like that. Food is such an amazing galvanizing and celebratory thing. In a multicultural neighborhood sometimes my ideas were their first exposure.  As we approach Halloween the annual pumpkin carve (slaughter) on the front lawn and seed roast comes to mind Many immigrant moms had no idea - they were as excited as the kids.

• Like 5

I love this kind of stuff! But I sadly have little to add. We made pigs in blankets with one of those canned croissant things and the kids thought they were the best thing ever. haha. My audience is easy. 😛

• Like 5

On a miserably hot and muggy summer day, when my kids were younger and everyone was cranky and prickly (no AC in our lives at that time) I decreed that dinner would be waffles and ice cream. That was a hit, and utterly changed the mood of the day (it didn't begin as celebratory, but ended that way).

In that same house we had a functioning fireplace, so a periodic indulgence was an "indoor campfire" with our kids and their friends from the neighbourhood. They'd roast hot dogs and toast marshmallows over the fire, and tell ghost stories, and it was a grand time (before anyone asks, s'mores had not yet found their sticky way into Nova Scotia yet at that time...or at least I'd never seen or heard of them, which I guess is not necessarily the same thing).

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

When the kids were little, my wife was just leaving for work one night. I needed to make something for dinner. We had ground beef so I was thinking some burgers on the grill. No burger buns, only hot dog. "Kids, tonight we're having burger-dogs." Kids loved 'em, my wife said they looked like something the dog left in the back yard. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

When my kids were little I was a single mother working to keep food on the table and as anyone knows that has worked in the food industry, you don't always get Christmas off. When you finally do get home, there's no time or energy to make a big Christmas dinner. At one time or another I had started to stuff my kids stockings with salami, cheese, and crackers, which they loved. So for Christmas dinner, we would sit down and eat our stockings. I kept the stockings out all year and on particularly gloomy days I would re-stuff them and we would sit down and eat our stockings to cheer us up. It became a family tradition that is still followed to this time. Christmas stockings are always filled with cheese and salami and depressing times are times to eat your stockings.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That's pretty special. I like it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning