• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

On 10/21/2021 at 8:11 PM, JeanneCake said:

she wrote of things she wished she had done differently -

Years ago my husband and I knew two young women whose mother was a survivor of the bombing of Hiroshima. The younger girl, Susanna, said that when she was little she always saved the center of her watermelon to eat last because it was the sweetest part. One day before she could eat it her mother reached over with her fork, took it and ate it. When she complained that she had saved the best part for last, her mother told her that she should never save the best things for last because she never knew what the next moment held and she would be stuck only knowing second-best.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

On 10/21/2021 at 8:11 PM, JeanneCake said:

she wrote of things she wished she had done differently -

Years ago my husband and I know two young women whose mother was a survivor of the bombing of Hiroshima. The younger girl, Susanna, said that when she was little she always saved the center of her watermelon to eat last because it was the sweetest part. One day before she could eat it her mother reached over with her fork, took it and ate it. When she complained that she had saved the best part for last, her mother told her that she should never save the best things for last because she never knew what the next moment held and she would be stuck with second-best.