• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP Host David Ross

Smithy

I received the shocking news last night that David Ross, our beloved host who has been running the eG Cook-offs for quite some time, passed away last Wednesday, Sept. 15. It must have been sudden: he was here Monday, encouraging @Shelby in the latest episode of her Hunting Time blog.

David was a skilled food stylist and inventive recipe developer. I always enjoyed his posts. Better still, he was one of the nicest people I've ever met on the internet. If he had a snarky bone in his body, he never let it get near the keyboard. I wish I'd known him in person, but my food life is richer because of him.

His obituary page is here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 26

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Dammit!  Lovely man who came across as quiet but was passionate about food and his personal family history. I still have the sticker from my IT guys for the last laptop I destroyed with liquid. Am sitting back to spare this one an onslaught of tears.

• Like 4

Wow... I'm in shock.  I never knew him well, but his recipes always impressed me and he always seemed just so nice.  I feel like I was just commenting back and forth with him the other day (although it was probably a week or two ago).

• Like 4

I've been crying on and off since finding out on FB last night.  He was the sweetest and most generous of people.  I was trying to tell Mr. Kim what made David so special.  I loved that he was so knowledgeable about fine and elegant foods and still appreciated simple home cooking.  He was thrilled when I sent him 30+ year old copies of Taste of Home magazine from my grandmother's home and was proud of the fact that he had had some of his recipes published in the magazine.   His service to eG was complete and I don't know that his shoes can be filled here.  I will miss his kindness and sense of humor so much.  

• Like 9

What a shock, and what a blow to our community. Far too young...

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I'm so sorry for those that knew him over the years. His written voice was so calm and kind. 

I started following EGullet maybe ten years ago but only once twice a month. (work crazy I never joined)

Condolences to his family and friends. 

I hope they are aware of his vast knowledge and personal additions here and can view and reflect at some point. 

(or if personal to this forum---maybe not.)

-sorry for the loss

• Like 6

David had been a member since 2006, which made him quite the veteran. I first "met" him in 2009, when we recruited him for a hosting position. I met him in person at the 2011 Heartland Gathering, where he demonstrated amazing calmness and generosity, offering to help us finish our dish for the group dinner:

David Ross: Can I help?

Dave the Cook: Sure. Just put a bamboo pick through two cheese cubes, and roll them in flour, egg and panko. Then deep fry them by holding them, by the pick, with tongs, in the fryer for exactly 20 seconds. As they're done, put them on a rack over paper towels. Repeat until cheese cubes are gone. There are about ninety.

David Ross (simply): Okay.

And then he did it. Perfectly.

Later that year, David took over the eG Cook-offs, opening each of them (most of which were the result of his ideas) with a relevant and often personal story.

David was also the voice of Gully on Facebook.

His disposition, patience and work ethic will be sorely missed around here. I'm not Jewish, but this seems entirely appropriate: may his memory be a blessing.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

35 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

David Ross: Can I help?

Dave the Cook: Sure. Just put a bamboo pick through two cheese cubes, and roll them in flour, egg and panko. Then deep fry them by holding them, by the pick, with tongs, in the fryer for exactly 20 seconds. As they're done, put them on a rack over paper towels. Repeat until cheese cubes are gone. There are about ninety.

David Ross (simply): Okay.

And then he did it. Perfectly.

I love this.

• Like 7

That was a shock to wake up to. It seems like only yesterday he "liked" one of my posts and reposted it on Facebook. Looking back, I see it was on the 8th.

The cook-offs have always been inspiring. He will be missed by many people who only 'knew' him online; my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Gone too young.

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I'm very sorry to hear this.  I loved reading David's posts and stories, especially the appreciation he shared for the local PNW produce and artisan products.  The effort he put into hosting the Cook-offs was always apparent, from introducing the topic with interesting stories and background research, then facilitating the discussion and usually contributing a dish that was masterful and original.  

I just took a peek back at his 2007 food blog, eG Foodblog: David Ross - Black Pearls of Gold.  As much as I enjoy re-reading David's writing, I couldn't get very far without tearing up but I'll go back another day. 

• Like 7