• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP Host David Ross

Smithy

One thing that always struck me about David was his references to his mother’s recipes. You could feel the love and appreciation for his mom through his words. I like to think they’re reunited again. 

Every time I see this topic active my heart breaks a bit. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 7

What a shocker to read, just after reading his posts on huckleberry ice cream and peach tarts in the sweets thread. I loved David's recipes and his attention to detail and his wonderful collection of old cookbooklets. As many have said, he was unfailingly kind and helpful, and we are much poorer for his absence. May he RIP.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I happened across something that David wrote that I hope is OK to share here.

I never use the word die, passed away or passed on. I simply say passed because to me, memories don't die, pass away or on. They live on. As Nina said, "He gave so much love and pleasure to so many people." A life well-lived.

He wrote this, not about a friend or family member, but about a pony that had been with his family for many years and I think it says a lot about his thoughtful nature. 

There is a wealth of David's writing here and on his website, Today's Home Kitchen.  He had such a passion for teaching and sharing his knowledge with home cooks, I hope that site will be maintained so his writing can live on and continue to be shared.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

What first came to mind for me was "humble" in the best connotation of the word - the state or quality of being humble; absence of pride or self-assertion. He may have known a lot of chefs, food people for example, but he mentioned them for context; never "look at me". I find the  best way to honor someone is to take their best qualities and integrate them with my behavior and thinking. A living positive legacy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I haven't been clicking reactions on each post, but I come to this thread a few times a day to read what folks have written.  The posts make me cry, but they are also very, very comforting.  They embody the essence of our mutual friend and show anyone who didn't know him all the facets of his personality and the things that he did for all of us.  I just hope he knew or knows somehow how much we all cared about him, what an important part of eG he was (and will continue to be) and how much we miss him. 

• Like 10

8 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I happened across something that David wrote that I hope is OK to share here.

He wrote this, not about a friend or family member, but about a pony that had been with his family for many years and I think it says a lot about his thoughtful nature. 

There is a wealth of David's writing here and on his website, Today's Home Kitchen.  He had such a passion for teaching and sharing his knowledge with home cooks, I hope that site will be maintained so his writing can live on and continue to be shared.  

Perhaps eG could preserve the website

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Shocking! He was such a nice guy! :sad:

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I had hoped to read an obituary of David that told more of his life, but, sadly, that's lacking.

On the other hand, through what he shared on eG and further on facebook, I have a pretty good idea of the man he was, and I'll miss his voice.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I had hoped to read an obituary of David that told more of his life, but, sadly, that's lacking.

On the other hand, through what he shared on eG and further on facebook, I have a pretty good idea of the man he was, and I'll miss his voice.

I keep checking back on the obituary thinking they might update it.  He was involved in so many things, I, too, wanted to learn more.

• Like 5

I just saw this and I'm also shocked and very saddened. His cook-offs were a delight and he was so encouraging and informative. Not sure I can add to what others have said, but this will be a huge loss to the community here. 

• Like 4

May I make a suggestion? As heartfelt as they are, most of his family will never see the condolences that are left on this page. Why not take the time to go onto his memorial page and leave a short note to let them know how much he was loved and how much he inspired and touched our community.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

May I make a suggestion? As heartfelt as they are, most of his family will never see the condolences that are left on this page. Why not take the time to go onto his memorial page and leave a short note to let them know how much he was loved and how much he inspired and touched our community.

Thank you for the suggestion. Two of us had already posted there, but now I've linked to this topic on their memorial page.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 weeks later...