• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Gifts for Appreciation

heidih

Do you? Sometimes tipping is not the right thing. I've taken to food as a show of appreciation for workers or friends. I used to do the Christmas thing but Covid disrupted that. I recently did cookies for the guards and firemen. Tomorrow I am doing cookies again for the trash guy who volunteered to take away a ridiculous mess of stuff. He would not have accepted cash. Cookies also for my mail place who treats me like family - prints and scans stuff and refuses to let me pay. .  

Do you have food gifting traditions that make that thank you connection?

• Like 2

Tend to use ice cream as a special tip for help.  Or chocolate-coated, almond-topped toffee also.  So many younger folks don't seem to cook that homemade items are always welcomed.  But as noted by Heidi, covid19 has disrupted much of normal life.

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 year later...

Speaking of gifting with ice cream which I tend to do, our wonderful IT guy who treats this old Luddite woman so wonderfully has now asked for Strawberry Ice Cream.  Fine, say I...until I go to look in my ice cream books for recipes.  And Lebovitz and Damerow and Torrance Kopfer don't have any simple basic ones.  And then I learn why.  Apparently strawberry is one of the most difficult ice creams to make properly.   I think I'll end up going with David Lebovitz's Strawberry Sour Ice Cream.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Are you sure he wants strawberry ice cream, not pink ice cream?  At my family's ice cream shop we served both strawberry  and "special strawberry" milkshakes.  The first just used artificial strawberry syrup.  The second used real strawberries, with the syrup added for a boost of flavor and color.  The first (all artificial) was by far the more popular. 

Our strawberry ice cream (soft serve) was regular vanilla ice cream mix with the artificial syrup added.   Today I would probably prefer some of the recipes you are already looking at.   But my palate does not necessarily reflect the larger population,  and the same can probably be said of most EGulleteers.

1 hour ago, donk79 said:

Are you sure he wants strawberry ice cream, not pink ice cream?  At my family's ice cream shop we served both strawberry  and "special strawberry" milkshakes.  The first just used artificial strawberry syrup.  The second used real strawberries, with the syrup added for a boost of flavor and color.  The first (all artificial) was by far the more popular. 

Our strawberry ice cream (soft serve) was regular vanilla ice cream mix with the artificial syrup added.   Today I would probably prefer some of the recipes you are already looking at.   But my palate does not necessarily reflect the larger population,  and the same can probably be said of most EGulleteers.

He was quite specific that it was to have tiny chunks of strawberry in it. 

Initially he refused all offers of ice cream, stating that he was getting fat and getting a paunch.  The guy is as skinny as a rake.  However, when he finally realized that it was HOMEMADE, he jumped at it. 

So his ice cream will contain vodka and sour cream and that's that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've made Jeni's Roasted Strawberry & Buttermilk Ice Cream with great success. 

• Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

9 hours ago, Darienne said:

He was quite specific that it was to have tiny chunks of strawberry in it. 

Initially he refused all offers of ice cream, stating that he was getting fat and getting a paunch.  The guy is as skinny as a rake.  However, when he finally realized that it was HOMEMADE, he jumped at it. 

Fantastic to hear!

• Like 1

On 5/21/2023 at 10:11 AM, Darienne said:

...and strawberry chunks, I hope? 🙃

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

12 hours ago, Smithy said:

...and strawberry chunks, I hope? 🙃

Yes, that was the first requirement established.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I gave a box of peanut brittle to the UPS man la st Christmas, as he delivered here so often he took to calling me Mama. He was quite overcome. He told me a day or so later he’d eaten the entire box that day on his route, and begged me for the recipe.

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com