• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Please tell me what cut of beef I have here...

Kim Shook

Mr. Kim ordered 3 tri tips at our local (Richmond VA area) Publix.  This is what we got:

IMG_6973.jpg.541dec481faabc396fa1a6c0631900ef.jpg

Nothing online seems to agree about what this cut is or whether it is considered tri tip.  Considering that we now have three of these, if they AREN'T tri tips, can we still cook them the same way?  Thanks!

@Kim Shook 

interesting .

you've seen what try-tip looks like on-line :

https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/cuts/cut/2443/tri-tip-roast

Id love to see what's in the packages 

out of the package 

for fun.

any meat , of any kind can be cooked

SV , initially or totally.

remembering  that the Bath Temp ==> ' doneness '

ie rare , med etc

works for all meat(s) 

time in the bath ==>  tenderness.

with in reason .  there are those pesky 

'' mealy ' issues.

pick your temp for doneness 

and then try to guess the tenderness time.

a massive feature of SV :   once you get  into

' hours '  in the bath

w properly handled meat

an hour or so more , won't take any differenc

unlike that extra hour on a RedHotBBQ.

enjoy !

try one, keep track , and then do the second 

a bit differently based on your first result.

etc.

what fun !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In its listing of cuts that it offers, our best local butcher shop, Louise Earl Butcher, lists both picanha (spelled "picaña," which I guess is also OK) and tri-tip, one right after the other. I'm sure they'd be glad to talk with you if you call. 

Here's a picanha/picaña vs tri-tip video: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

https://www.thespruceeats.com/top-sirloin-cap-or-picanha-p2-4119892

It's relatively inexpensive, especially when compared to ribeyes and other notable steaks, and is packed with beef flavor. This makes it one of the best cuts of meat for grilling. Tri-tip and sirloin steaks are often confused with the top sirloin cap, but a knowledgeable butcher will know exactly what you're looking for. Traditionally, picanha is grilled on long skewers, but for the home cook, it will be a lot easier to cut the steak into portions for smaller skewers.

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?