• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sad Science of Soup

JoNorvelleWalker

Soup is the title of a chapter in Herve This' book Kitchen Mysteries, which currently I am reading.  This essay asserts that blowing on soup cools it by disturbing the boundary layer of what is technically smoke (not vapor) above the hot liquid.  @nathanm reached essentially the same conclusion in Modernist Cuisine.

As much as I respect the great minds, I call balderdash.  I maintain blowing on soup cools it primarily by the Joule-Thomson effect, in which a gas is cooled by being forced through an orifice, eg. one's lips.  This is easy enough to prove with an experiment:  with mouth open, blow on soup with all one's might.  Keep blowing, because you will be at it quite a while.

Then purse your lips, as one naturally does when cooling soup, and continue blowing.  The soup cools quickly.  The experiment does not need soup, or even a thermometer.  With mouth open blow on your hand.  Your breath feels warm.  Purse your lips and continue blowing.  Your breath feels cool.

Thank me next time you don't scald your tongue.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward