• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shells shiny, but have visible bloom?

wannabechocolatier

Even with bad temper - things molded up against a shiny surface are often quite shiny. You'll see swirlies on the inside but shine on the outside. How have you tempered that though?

37 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Even with bad temper - things molded up against a shiny surface are often quite shiny. You'll see swirlies on the inside but shine on the outside. How have you tempered that though?

It was my first attempt at tabling -- guess it didn't go so well. I dumped most of the mixture on the slab, got the temp down to low 80s and heated it back up over water bath to low 90s. 

My guess is maybe I had too little chocolate in the bowl (about 500 grams in a 5 quart bowl) and the heating/cooling process was more volatile than ideal. Or maybe I just did it all wrong, idk. I'm going to go back to the seeding method for a bit :D

Also, is that fat bloom in your estimation? I also had a sneaking suspicion some leftover water on a spoon dropped in (picked it up out of the dish rack), but I didn't see it and the chocolate didn't seize, so maybe not.

Poor temper is fat bloom basically - so yes. Those are likely form VI agglomerations.  

Tiny amounts of water will thicken the chocolate but it won't seize until you reach critical mass. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Poor temper is fat bloom basically - so yes. Those are likely form VI agglomerations.  

Tiny amounts of water will thicken the chocolate but it won't seize until you reach critical mass. 

Now that you mention it, I did notice the chocolate had thickened up, but I assumed that was because I had kept it at working temp for about 3 hours. Would that have had something to do with it, or does the thickening not inhibit temper?

Also, I did not know type VI could give way to bloom, thought it was a stable crystal.