• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

To mirror glaze or not to mirror glaze??

AnC

Hello, I have one more query regarding my upcoming torta setteveli! (my inspiration but not the recipe I am following https://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/recipes/all/prue-leith-torta-setteveli/

This is for a milestone birthday for my brother so I want it to look good as well as taste good. I absolutely love the look of mirror glaze and tbh is probably a lot less time consuming than doing a fondant covered cake. The only thing is, I find mirror glaze (like any kind of fondant/icing) to look much better than it tastes but unlike fondant it can't be easily removed.

I know there probably aren't many options for this cake as the top and sides will be covered in chocolate mousse but is there anything else I can consider instead of mirror glaze? The 'problem' with mirror glaze, for me personally, is that it's very rich and takes any cake from light and airy to a bit sickly  - and not because the mirror glaze by itself doesn't taste nice (I've tried quite a few professional desserts that had mirror glazing so I've definitely had some decent ones!) but I always end up trying to scrape the glaze off and either eating it separately if it's only a bit or not at all. If it's the best option then I'll use it and take consolation in the fact that it looks good but it just seems like a waste of money and ingredients when I know most of the people who are eating it will prob prefer to not be eating it!

Also, if I do use it, is there any way I could maybe just use it on the top and keep the sides free of it? If I pour it while the cake is still in the mould will it still drip down the sides? Thanks again all!

If you're using a cake ring to assemble the cake, you can just leave it on and cover the top with glaze. The only problem is that the glaze is designed to protect the mousse, so it may dry out and discolour.

When using a decent glaze and putting it on at the right temperature, it should be fine to eat. I use the Migoya one from The Modern Café (possibly the only worthwhile recipe in it), which works well. Alternatively, you can spray cocoa butter over the frozen cake, or spread jam or neutral glaze on it before coating with nuts or something else.

Tbh, I've moved away from mirror glazes not because of the flavour, but because it's a pain if you just have to do one cake...