• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you store your fresh herbs?

Ciao Ling

I do much the same as Tim. I use a wide-bottomed, wide-mouthed jar, heavy enough to prevent accidental tipping. The jar is set in the bottom of a clear plastic bag that I've gotten at the grocery store, possibly even the bag in which I brought some herbs home. I put a couple of inches' worth of water in the bottom of the jar, put the herbs in (stem down), and clip the bag shut at the top with a clothespin, and set it in the refrigerator. Herbs keep for days or weeks this way, and they're easy to get at by simply opening the bag. I'm not out an extra penny, and I don't have one more special gizmo cluttering my cabinets (believe me, I already have plenty) when not in use.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Or wrap stems in damp paper (or cloth) towel, then put in plastic bag.

I like this method for many herbs and greens, but not basil or mint. If basil or mint leaves are wet and stored in the fridge, they will turn black. I store basil and mint in a jar with a little water, as described by various people above.

if I have to buy fresh herbs for a dish I use what I can right away... tie them with a piece of string in a bunch and hang them upside down in the kithen to dry

if I try to save them fresh I forget and they turn to mush

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I use a Herb Savor from Sur La Table. It's a total ripoff and you can make one yourself in probably 5 minutes. Despite this, I got it with a nice coupon and it's been invaluable to me. It easily extends the life of fresh herbs to 2-3 weeks.

Same. I'm embarrased by how much I paid, but I keep a bunch of parsley in the kitchen at all times and the thing works great.

I previously stored them in a mug or a wet cloth in a plastic beg, but frankly this works much better. No spills either.

My husband bought me something similar to the Herb-Savor for Christmas. To tell you the truth I kind of inwardly rolled my eyes--I'm pretty anti-gadget in general--but I'm amazed at how well it works!

My previous method was to store them in the produce bag they came in until they turned into black liquid. This is much better.

Those new Reynolds vacuum sealers work great for this! Before I had one my cilantro would turn black in a matter of days, but now it will last for weeks!

I am not quite sure how you are using the vacuum sealer on the cilantro. Can you please explain it.

I can keep celery in them for weeks by simply wrapping the stalks in paper towel and vauum sealing but doesn't it crush the cilantro?

Thanks.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am not quite sure how you are using the vacuum sealer on the cilantro.  Can you please explain it. 

I can keep celery in them for weeks by simply wrapping the stalks in paper towel and vauum sealing but doesn't it crush the cilantro?

Thanks.

It's really simple. I soak the cilantro in cold water for a bit and dry them off. Then lay them out of paper towers, roll it up, them place inside the vacuum bag. I don't have problems with crushing at all.

• 1 year later...

I was wondering what is the best way to store herbs, especially parsley, cilantro, and basil. I'm tired of the herbs going bad before I can use it all.

Thanks!

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

A lot of herbs keep well in plastic bags in the freezer. Parsley does fine (assumng you're using it as an herb and not a garnish). Cilantro does ok. Basil doesn't do well ... its flavor seems too fragile or volatile and it turns black.

Thyme keeps brilliantly in the freezer, as do sage and rosemary.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

I think the best advice is ... don't. Try to buy fresh what you intend to use, and not much more. Remember that quantities of fresh herbs can often be increased a bit without damage.

Otherwise, at least as I've found it:

Parsley (also Mint and Dill). Treat as a cut flower -- put in a glass in a little water. Change the water every day to stop it going funky. Discard damp stems before use.

Cilantro. Try the same technique as parsley, but more temperamental in my experience. On the other hand, this tends to get used in larger quantities perhaps than the others it's easier not to have too much.

Parsley at least can be frozen too. It goes floppy and is no use for anything other than stocks/soups and so forth, but at least that's something.

An alternative method I have heard about and sometimes tried is to wash and store loosely wrapped in a damp kitchen towel in the fridge. I haven't had much luck with this method, especially with delicate herbs which tend to get fridge burn.

Basil. Worst of all. For very very short periods the cut-flower trick may help; but generally it need using. The line of least resistance is to turn anything you would be throwing away into pesto (or make a tomato sauce or zucchini soup with it in). If you regularly use small quantities of basil, a plant may be the best bet ... though I have never had any luck with plants, being a reasonably good cook and an absolutely terrible gardener.

Chives: like basil, and really a complete washout unless used very fresh.

Woody herbs such as time and rosemary are best "preserved" by being allowed to dry in an airy place. Not as good as fresh, of course, but one can usually find a use for them in a day or two.

I keep all herbs except basil wrapped in a paper towel in a bag in the fridge crisper drawer. Leafy herbs keep for at least a week, often two; woodier varieties kept this way last at least a month. Coming from a farmer's market, they're quite fresh, so it's possible that those from the supermarket will have less longevity.

Basil, if I can get it with roots on, goes into a glass of water on the counter. Otherwise, I'll reserve some for whatever purpose I got it for and quickly make pesto with the rest.

Hi,

Well sealed freezer storage is very effective for almost all herbs. If you use, sealed plastic freezer bags, it seems to work much better in a self-defrosting fridge.

I have had exceptional results with drying and freezing basil. I dry the basil in a convection oven at 150 degrees. After crumbling, I place it in a mason jar and store it in the freezer. I know it sounds implausible, but it really works.

Any home processed (dried, crumbled, sealed and frozen) herb is vastly superior to any herb purchased from the best on-line herb stores. This is a wonderful way to store herbes de provence.

Tim

Edited by tim (log)

When I buy dried herbs from Penzy's or Pendry's, I divide the package into the smallest canning jars made, freezing all but one jar, which is for active use. Works well. I have been doing this for a few years and think this was a tip here in the forums from Fifi, Linda LaRose.

• 2 weeks later...

Parsley (also Mint and Dill). Treat as a cut flower -- put in a glass in a little water. Change the water every day to stop it going funky. Discard damp stems before use.

Basil. Worst of all. For very very short periods the cut-flower trick may help. . .

I've had the best results with all these herbs (including basil) by putting them in a glass with water and then storing the glass in the fridge. I've got some dill stored this way now -- it's been over two weeks, and it's still fresh. (And the water doesn't need changing because the cold keeps it from getting funky.)

Pad Kee Mao (Drunken Noodles) uses Thai basil, but we have to buy way more than we need - the typical package at the Asian grocery is 3-4 batches worth and we don't eat it often enough to have it last "fresh" - so I have been vacuum sealing it. Yes it turns black but it does when it gets stir fried anyway. Flavor doesn't seem to be affected. The only trick is that when you thaw and remove from the bag you have to separate the leaves from each other before adding to the wok - otherwise it all clumps together.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...

I throw out a lot of herbs because I don't know the best way to store them properly.  The other day it was cilantro.  Often asparagus and thyme meet the same fate.  So, how do you store your herbs?  On the counter in a container with a plastic bag over them note: (does not work for cilantro), wrapped in a wrung-out paper towel in a plastic bag?  I'd love to know what works and what doesn't.

8 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I throw out a lot of herbs because I don't know the best way to store them properly.  The other day it was cilantro.  Often asparagus and thyme meet the same fate.  So, how do you store your herbs?  On the counter in a container with a plastic bag over them note: (does not work for cilantro), wrapped in a wrung-out paper towel in a plastic bag?  I'd love to know what works and what doesn't.

I have tried various methods as well....mostly the ones you've mentioned.  I've bought containers that go in the fridge with water in the bottom, nothing worked well enough to satisfy me.  The current method I'm using is to put them in a Foodsaver container, I'm told they last weeks that way.  Right now I'm testing that theory.  I'll let you know how well it works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1