• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dehydrator to premelt chocolate

Dark side

Wondering about using a dehydrator to premelt chocolate overnight for me to temper in the morning. 

Any suggestions of temperature to set and timing required? 

I figured I would have chocolate in bowl inside dehydrator, set to desired temp, and plugged into a timer to come on with enough lead time to be melted when I arrive. Suggestions?

13 hours ago, Dark side said:

Wondering about using a dehydrator to premelt chocolate overnight for me to temper in the morning. 

Any suggestions of temperature to set and timing required? 

I figured I would have chocolate in bowl inside dehydrator, set to desired temp, and plugged into a timer to come on with enough lead time to be melted when I arrive. Suggestions?

This is exactly what I do.  Although I love my dehydrator, its thermostat control is far from exact.  I set the temp for a little above 100F.  I put the chocolate into the dehydrator the night before I am using it, and it's melted by the next morning and ready to temper.  When I don't have the overnight time, I have left it in for about 6 hours, and it has melted (or mostly so).  If I'm in a real hurry, I put it in two bowls and that helps noticeably.  Still better than waiting for it to melt from scratch (whether one is using a melter or a tempering machine).

21 hours ago, Jim D. said:

This is exactly what I do.  Although I love my dehydrator, its thermostat control is far from exact.  I set the temp for a little above 100F.  I put the chocolate into the dehydrator the night before I am using it, and it's melted by the next morning and ready to temper.  When I don't have the overnight time, I have left it in for about 6 hours, and it has melted (or mostly so).  If I'm in a real hurry, I put it in two bowls and that helps noticeably.  Still better than waiting for it to melt from scratch (whether one is using a melter or a tempering machine).

Jim I am puzzled by your post. Do you mean to say that you wouldn’t use a melter to melt your chocolate overnight? I use my melters to melt my chocolate and then I use them to hold tempered chocolate for a day of bonbon making. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 5:46 AM, pastrygirl said:

Skip the timer and just let it melt overnight, it’s fine if it stays melted til you need it.

What is the max temp for the dehydrator?  

I was trying to be mindful of energy use and avoid extra heat production during summer. I would hope they are fairly efficient though. Max temp is 155.

1 hour ago, curls said:

Jim I am puzzled by your post. Do you mean to say that you wouldn’t use a melter to melt your chocolate overnight? I use my melters to melt my chocolate and then I use them to hold tempered chocolate for a day of bonbon making. 

Melters have more precise temperature control correct? 

I did find it almost redundant that then I had to use my tempering machine for temperature control after melting. 

I was just trying to experiment with my new eztemper silk. 

Love to hear your full process Jim. 

Edited by Dark side (log)

8 minutes ago, Dark side said:

I was trying to be mindful of energy use and avoid extra heat production during summer. I would hope they are fairly efficient though. Max temp is 155.

Fair enough!  The max temp is hotter than I would have guessed, 110-120F should suffice for chocolate.  Cover the dehydrator with a towel or blanket to contain the heat.

I don't know if melters are any more precise, but they are pretty slow, not sure what the melt time per pound or kg would be, an hour per kg?  The microwave might be most efficient, I use it at 60% power for 1-3 minutes at a time (depending on volume of choc) to avoid scorching.

2 hours ago, curls said:

I should have qualified my statement by saying that I don't use my melter for overnight melting, not that it could not be done.  I am a new user of the Mol d'Art and so far haven't found its temp controls very accurate (other users have said the same, maybe it's just the one I received).  I probably wouldn't use the melter to melt (as un-obvious as that sounds) for one simple reason:  As I have described my process previously, I use a Chocovision Delta to temper the chocolate and have found its thermostat to be very accurate. I haven't had a lot of success emptying the melter into the Delta bowl without making a mess.  I use the Mol d'Art for dumping molds (as, obviously, the round Delta bowl makes that impossible, or at least messy beyond what even I can put up with).  I can keep the melter at a temp of 95F or above, so that it contains untempered chocolate, ready to be added to the Delta whenever overtempering starts.   With the Mol d'Art (so I gather from others), the user controls overtempering by turning up the thermostat for a while, then lowering it (or keeping some untempered chocolate ready from another source).  With the procedure of adding untempered chocolate at 95F or above to the Delta bowl, it takes a very short period of time (a minute or two) for the temp to come back down to working temp, and at that point the chocolate is noticeably more fluid.  A final reason why I don't use the melter for filling shells is that it would be difficult to ladle chocolate into the last molds when the chocolate level is low, whereas the Delta bowl provides a smaller, deeper area so the chocolate level remains higher longer.  I try to use as little chocolate as possible for a batch so as to reduce melting time.  We don't all have the luxury of having a Selmi at our disposal (ahem, @pastrygirl).  I really think it all comes down to what each person finds most convenient and efficient.

Edited by Jim D. (log)

@Jim D. lol, I was trying not to be that person who always has to mention "my new Selmi" in every discussion 😂 but yes, it does melt much more quickly than the mol d' art.  The stirring arm helps.

@Dark side up until now I've used my 6 and 24 kg mol d' art melters, putting chocolate in the night before and letting it melt around 50C (122F), add more choc in the AM to cool it down, then add seed or silk and temper by hand.  It's maintaining the temper that's tedious.  If you're filling molds and dumping the excess back into the melter, that excess has cooled and crystallized to some degree.  That's where the melters fail - I felt like I spent too much time gently warming & stirring my choc every few molds, and it's even worse when the kitchen is as cold as I like it.  Adding more warm chocolate as Jim suggested works too.

26 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

*I* want to hear all about that new Selmi :)   It's ok, it's your new baby - you should talk about it at every opportunity! LOL

Oh it's going to save me so much time just in stirring and ladling!  I've only had a few sessions with it so far.  I have to get used to how fast the chocolate comes out and the size of the bowl.  There was definitely more chocolate on the floor than usual, but the temper was beautiful, with the push of a few buttons 😊

I'm planning to keep my main dark chocolate in it and try not to contaminate it so I don't have to clean it too often.  I'll still use melters and EZ temper for milk and white chocolates.

• Like 3

😖 That's the closest emoji I could find for saying I'm jealous.  Of course, you do realize how chocolate-related obsessions progress...you're quite satisfied with one Selmi now, but you'll have at least another for milk before the year ends.  Think of the holiday production you could accomplish!  😜   The Selmi is definitely a worthy home for Felchlin couverture.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jim D. said:

😖 That's the closest emoji I could find for saying I'm jealous.  Of course, you do realize how chocolate-related obsessions progress...you're quite satisfied with one Selmi now, but you'll have at least another for milk before the year ends.  Think of the holiday production you could accomplish!  😜   The Selmi is definitely a worthy home for Felchlin couverture.

😂 oh I have plans … or pipe dreams.  First I need a new car, then I’ll get the bigger Selmi with enrobing line for dark and keep the small one for milk.  

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 8/31/2021 at 6:34 PM, pastrygirl said:

Oh it's going to save me so much time just in stirring and ladling!  I've only had a few sessions with it so far.  I have to get used to how fast the chocolate comes out and the size of the bowl.  There was definitely more chocolate on the floor than usual, but the temper was beautiful, with the push of a few buttons 😊

I'm planning to keep my main dark chocolate in it and try not to contaminate it so I don't have to clean it too often.  I'll still use melters and EZ temper for milk and white chocolates.

Which Selmi model did you get @pastrygirl?? are you loving it?

1 hour ago, Dark side said:

Which Selmi model did you get @pastrygirl?? are you loving it?

I got the Color EX, and yes, of course!  Chocolate melts quickly, tempering only takes a few minutes and I'm happy to have the vibration table.  It beeps when it's ready and makes cute little compressor sighs.  I'm also enjoying the volumetric dosing, it's helping me be neater.  On the other hand, it does put out some heat and I haven't tried to clean the screw yet.

5 hours ago, Dark side said:

Amazing! So how has your process changed? have you stopped using other machines/tools in favour of the tempering machine?

Do you use it for dipping, or just molding?

I have the Selmi full of 60% dark, which is what I use the most of, and am trying to keep it free of allergens other than milk.  I don't do any hand dipping, I make molded bars & bonbons plus some slabbed truffles that are dusted in cocoa powder.  I still use melters for milk chocolate or if I'm using certain allergens. 

I don't think my process has changed a whole lot, but I feel like it's sped up with less time spent tending to chocolate and maintaining temper.  My 24 kg melter heats unevenly, takes hours to melt that much chocolate, and has to be frequently stirred  and re-warmed if I'm shelling and dumping molds.  My kitchen gets pretty cold in the winter, which I like because chocolate crystallizes quickly but it's also a constant struggle. 

I had been a little concerned that the Color would be too small, with only 12 kg capacity but so far it has kept up.  I probably tempered 100 kg of chocolate with it last month?  I have room on my marble slab for 4 frames of truffles (using 6 kg tempered choc), if I re-fill the Selmi it's melted and ready to temper by the time those are crystallized and cut.  A lot of the little movements add up, not having to constantly switch between ladle and scraper, not pausing to bang the bubbles out of each mold by hand ... 

Now I need to find the right height chair so I can sit and lean against the vibration table for a nice back rub at the end of the day  🤪

• Like 4

Sorry for a bit of off-topic.

Jim, you mentioned earlier you are using a dehydrator to pre-melt the CB.

Can you please share what model do you use and your experience with it? How good it at the keeping a consistent temperature?  Do you use it to keep the ready to use CB in it while working?

I am looking at the Amazon - there are coupe models with the decent reviews with the price tag about $300

Thanks!

Edited by Polian (log)

5 hours ago, Polian said:

Sorry for a bit of off-topic.

Jim, you mentioned earlier you are using a dehydrator to pre-melt the CB.

Can you please share what model do you use and your experience with it? How good it at the keeping a consistent temperature?  Do you use it to keep the ready to use CB in it while working?

I am looking at the Amazon - there are coupe models with the decent reviews with the price tag about $3

Thanks!

I use the Avantco dehydrator ($196) and am very pleased with it.  I use it to melt chocolate overnight for tempering in the morning, and it can hold a substantial amount of chocolate (probably 10kg or more if you have the proper container).  I also use it to melt colored cocoa butter, which I then temper with EZtemper silk--speeds things up remarkably.  Its only drawback is that the temp control is not precise, but I have learned to set the thermostat for a notch or two beyond 100F, and the items are fine--after all, it doesn't hurt chocolate or cocoa butter to be well above 100F.  If you wish to keep c.b. ready to use immediately, you might have to do some experimenting, but I don't know of any device that would be that accurate at maintaining a temp within a few degrees.

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2021 at 7:41 PM, Jim D. said:

I use the Avantco dehydrator ($196) and am very pleased with it.  I use it to melt chocolate overnight for tempering in the morning, and it can hold a substantial amount of chocolate (probably 10kg or more if you have the proper container).  I also use it to melt colored cocoa butter, which I then temper with EZtemper silk--speeds things up remarkably.  Its only drawback is that the temp control is not precise, but I have learned to set the thermostat for a notch or two beyond 100F, and the items are fine--after all, it doesn't hurt chocolate or cocoa butter to be well above 100F.  If you wish to keep c.b. ready to use immediately, you might have to do some experimenting, but I don't know of any device that would be that accurate at maintaining a temp within a few degrees.

KitchenAid Precise Heat Mixing Bowl.  Blame Kerry.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou