• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mandarin orange puree for filled chocolates

ShylahSinger

Hello! I'm fairly new to this site so I don't know if my search was weak. I'm trying to find a way to make Mandarin orange puree at home, but I couldn't find anything even similar in the forum. I am a home cook, but I have been making chocolate bonbons and other confections for over 4 years (intermitantly). It is too expensive for me to purchase this online- not because of the price of the puree, but the cost of shipping makes it prohibative. The recipes I've seen online are all differant and don't seem to be what I need. 

I would love any help with this! I look forward to hearing and learning from those who have much, much more experience than me. Thanks!

Thank you for your reply! I know about Perfect Puree and it's a wonderful site. I'm just concerned about how much sweetening to add, and other technical details, such as reducing the amount of puree, whether to strain all the fibrous material, and freezing. I have made other purees before but not citrus fruit. I undersand that the Perfect Puree Manderin/Tangerine is a concentrate, not a puree. All I can say is help!!

Thanks Jay!

Boy, I feel like a complete novice with this puree. I have used pectin for years in jams but just followed the directions on the box or recipe. I'm not sure what to do with this mandarin orange puree. Yesterday I reduced the puree by half, and put it in the freezer. I didn't strain it, and the texture is nice. I blitzed in my Ninja super blender for hours (or so it seemed)! I have 354 g pure fruit puree now. How would you go about using sugar and pectin? I'm thinking about just using it as a concentrate and adding 10% sweetener. I want to use it as a jell or in a chocolate ganache filling for bonbons.