• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pacojet Competitor? The Ninja Creami

andrewk512

40 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Have you considered using a rotovap to concentrate the solids?

Wish I had a rotovap... maybe one day...

I did try par-dehydrating strawberries a while back for sorbet, but at 10% dehydration I didn't notice a meaningful difference. It's worth a try again though, had kind of forgotten about that idea

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, andrewk512 said:

Wish I had a rotovap... maybe one day...

I did try par-dehydrating strawberries a while back for sorbet, but at 10% dehydration I didn't notice a meaningful difference. It's worth a try again though, had kind of forgotten about that idea

Maybe Kerry will give it a try and report back.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I called what I thought was Ninja Canada but got an American Ninja agent.  She checked for me when Canada would be getting more pints and it is mid-October.  I see that Ninja Canada also now has them on their web site but with the notation "out of stock".

• Like 1

I don't seem to have a choice but to wait on getting more pints, but I wonder whether I'd need them, really. There are 3 pint jars in the set. Won't that be enough? Are the rest of you stocking up with a variety of concoctions in the freezer all at once?

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I don't seem to have a choice but to wait on getting more pints, but I wonder whether I'd need them, really. There are 3 pint jars in the set. Won't that be enough? Are the rest of you stocking up with a variety of concoctions in the freezer all at once?

That's a good question and it has me thinking.  Right now, all three of my pints are in use.   I keep wanting to make all these different concoctions but I'm wondering if that is due to the novelty of the machine as opposed to me wanting more than 3 pints in the freezer at a time.  I should have that figured out by the time more stock becomes available in mid-October.

• Like 4

Can the spun ice cream be transferred to a regular pint container, freeing up the Ninja pint container? Seems like @mgaretz has made ice cream which remains scoopable the next day.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Just now, weinoo said:

Can the spun ice cream be transferred to a regular pint container, freeing up the Ninja pint container? Seems like @mgaretz has made ice cream which remains scoopable the next day.

Yes it can (with the right recipe that doesn't require re-spinning).  But it sure is convenient to leave it right there.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

6 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I called what I thought was Ninja Canada but got an American Ninja agent.  She checked for me when Canada would be getting more pints and it is mid-October.  I see that Ninja Canada also now has them on their web site but with the notation "out of stock".

Thanks for the update

5 hours ago, Smithy said:

I have done about 12 frozen desserts so far, it is easy enough to just scoop the product into a different reusable container and wash the pints out and reuse them. It would be more convenient to leave it in but I can wait another month for them to become available in Canada. I haven't made anything yet that has been too solid to scoop after hardening in the freezer overnight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now that I've opened the box and perused the contents (and washed the items that will contact food) I see that I'll get another pair of pint containers simply for registering the product. That should do me for a while, I hope.

A can of diced mangoes is in the first pint jar. It may be a couple of evenings before I actually process it. While I was in town picking up my (crikey, why do I do this to myself and what do I get rid of?) new toy, I also hit up a grocery store for heavy cream and huckleberries, the way I could try huckleberry ice cream in David Ross' honor. No frozen huckleberries to be found, but I'll think of something. He notes that any summer berry will work. I'm pretty sure I have blueberries in the freezer.

• Like 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Now that I've opened the box and perused the contents (and washed the items that will contact food) I see that I'll get another pair of pint containers simply for registering the product.

You won't.  The text is misleading.  What you will get is a 10% off coupon towards the purchase of containers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

8 hours ago, Smithy said:

Now that I've opened the box and perused the contents (and washed the items that will contact food) I see that I'll get another pair of pint containers simply for registering the product. That should do me for a while, I hope.

A can of diced mangoes is in the first pint jar. It may be a couple of evenings before I actually process it. While I was in town picking up my (crikey, why do I do this to myself and what do I get rid of?) new toy, I also hit up a grocery store for heavy cream and huckleberries, the way I could try huckleberry ice cream in David Ross' honor. No frozen huckleberries to be found, but I'll think of something. He notes that any summer berry will work. I'm pretty sure I have blueberries in the freezer.

Let me know if you get the coupon for the free containers - cause I argued that I should and that did not happen. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Could you wait to register until the containers are back in stock?

It's not a stock issue.  When I called they said the 10% off offer was the deal.  No free containers.  (The two packs are in stock now, I just received mine today.)

• Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

Recipe update:  Yesterday afternoon I mixed and froze a non-dairy, zero-sugar attempt.  It was my base recipe from above with sugar and flavor substitutions.

14 ozs almond milk (plain, unsweetened)

120 grams Whole Earth Allulose Baking Blend (granulated)

22 grams coconut oil powder

1 tbs glycerin

1 tsp vanilla extract

3.5 grams Perfect Sorbet stabilizer

1/4  cup cacao powder

1 tsp espresso powder

I was concerned because after blending it was quite thick.  I suspect it was because the Allulose blend has some xanthan gum, so there may have been too much stabilizer.  (I have written to them to see if I can find out how much it contains, no answer so far.)  I froze it anyway and spun it tonight on a single ice cream cycle.  It came out quite soft, very much like regular churned ice cream before freezing.  The taste was OK, very similar to other zero sugar ice creams, and it seemed a bit icy/grainy/sorbet-like but not too bad.  I left it in the container and we'll see what it's like after freezing another day.  

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

37 minutes ago, Honkman said:

Just curious why you are avoiding sugar and dairy

I am lactose intolerant and trying to lose some weight and keep it down.  Not doing keto or anything crazy.  

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com