• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pacojet Competitor? The Ninja Creami

andrewk512

Second pint of most recent batch of strawberry.

Strawberry10092021.jpg

I thought I posted this last night?  It may have been posted somewhere, but apparently not here.  I'm told rum can sometimes do that.

Excellent flavor and texture.  I fear I ate too much.  Now I must decide what flavor to make next!

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Now I must decide what flavor to make next!

I'm sure you have many ideas but if you have Nik Sharma's Flavor Equation, the blueberry, buttermilk and Omani lime ice cream is a great flavor combination. Simple recipe that you may need to modify to suit your texture requirements.  I made it into popsicles a while back and have it on my list to make in this gadget. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Out of curiosity - what stabilizer did you use for this?

Off-brand cremodan 30

The recipe ingredients are 819g milk; 38g non-fat milk powder; 68g sugar; 73g trimoline; 5g ice cream stabilizer; 239g 64% chocolate. Stabilizer dispersed and then mixture heated to 185F and poured over the chocolate to melt. A half recipe was made.

I actually spoke a bit too soon cause it froze up completely solid overnight. However, it was softened to a reasonable scoopability with 10 minutes on the counter and there was minimal ice crystal taste

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I thought I posted this last night?  It may have been posted somewhere, but apparently not here.  I'm told rum can sometimes do that.

Excellent flavor and texture.  I fear I ate too much.  Now I must decide what flavor to make next!

Looks awesome!

19 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'm sure you have many ideas but if you have Nik Sharma's Flavor Equation, the blueberry, buttermilk and Omani lime ice cream is a great flavor combination. Simple recipe that you may need to modify to suit your texture requirements.  I made it into popsicles a while back and have it on my list to make in this gadget. 

I need to take a look at that, I have the book on my shelf in my to-read pile, haven't made it past the first few pages yet

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Strawberry10092021.jpg

What recipe is this?

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yes, I have a copy of The Flavor Equation.  I confess to no experience with omani limes but I ordered a bag from amazon that should arrive tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Curious about this recipe Orange Sherbet - it's got a pint of glucose.

No idea, but I have a bottle of corn syrup and a bag of Valencia oranges on order from amazon for delivery later on tonight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Are you planning on making blueberry ice cream or sorbet or....?

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/163060-new-pacojet-competitor-the-ninja-creami/?do=findComment&comment=2315960

But I did receive corn syrup, kefir, and the Valencia oranges.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Two Ninja containers of orange sherbet in the Vesta freezing.  However tonight's $6.49 bottle of corn syrup was only 11.2 ounces, somewhat short of a proper pint.  Whole Foods sustains its reputation.

Though I must say my hands smell nice.

• Like 1

Today's experiment: canteloupe gin slush

250g frozen canteloupe cubes covered with 60g regular gin, 60g Dillon's melon gin (30% abv), 40g lime juice and 40g simple syrup. There's a few cubes popping up but I'm hoping expansion of the liquid when freezing will make everything nice and level. Will see if I can end up with a blender free alcoholic slush

20211010_150526.thumb.jpg.1410db48c53ff98db12012b7bfba9326.jpg

• Like 5

3 batches spun yesterday and today. And no pictures taken - every time I got working - the damn phone rang!

Chocolate - same as @andrewk512's but with a 70% chocolate from Kahkow - pudding like texture before freezing - used the 'general stabilizer' from @paulraphael. Not quite what I'm after in a chocolate ice cream. 

Salted caramel.

Took the River Cafe's strawberry sorbet which was painfully lemon oily and added some whole milk powder and a bit of buttermilk as well as a bit of stabilizer Much less painful. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

3 batches spun yesterday and today. And no pictures taken - every time I got working - the damn phone rang!

Chocolate - same as @andrewk512's but with a 70% chocolate from Kahkow - pudding like texture before freezing - used the 'general stabilizer' from @paulraphael. Not quite what I'm after in a chocolate ice cream. 

Salted caramel.

Took the River Cafe's strawberry sorbet which was painfully lemon oily and added some whole milk powder and a bit of buttermilk as well as a bit of stabilizer Much less painful. 

What texture do you find ideal in chocolate ice cream? Less dense? 

My canteloupe experiment was a failure as it hit - 15c I realized the liquid would never freeze and it'd probably break my machine with the chunks. I blended in the vitamix and into the deep freeze overnight to see whether taking it to -26c would make a processable product

At the grocery store today I saw the frozen minute maid concentrates and I couldn't help but buy one, dilute it in half, and freeze to see how it would do as a sorbet. Will process tomorrow

• Like 2

On 10/9/2021 at 6:22 PM, Kerry Beal said:

OrangeSherbet10112021.jpg

Food52 orange sherbet with salted whipped cream.  Same fault as the Ninja strawberry ice cream.  Great flavor, unbearably waxy texture.  Repeating essentially the same recipe expecting a different result is madness.

Though I reserve especial distain for the salted whipped cream accompaniment.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, andrewk512 said:

What texture do you find ideal in chocolate ice cream? Less dense? 

Lots of overrun -more like commercial cheap icecream!

• Like 2

One of the things I’m noticing in this thread is that the Ninja seems to perform nicely; on the other hand, a lot of the recipes promoted for use in the Ninja seem to suck.

has anyone just really followed a Cree, Leibovitz, et al. Ice cream recipe  to the letter and then spun that frozen base?

In other words, doesn’t the cooking knowledge on this board tell you something’s just not right with a particular recipe?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

One of the things I’m noticing in this thread is that the Ninja seems to perform nicely; on the other hand, a lot of the recipes promoted for use in the Ninja seem to suck.

has anyone just really followed a Cree, Leibovitz, et al. Ice cream recipe  to the letter and then spun that frozen base?

In other words, doesn’t the cooking knowledge on this board tell you something’s just not right with a particular recipe?

Yes the Dana Cree, Migoya, Thomas Keller, Eleven Madison Park etc. recipes on their own all turn out excellent 

I think people are hoping to strike gold with a really simple recipe again - the fruits in syrup trick is actually quite wonderful; and the machine advertises to process just about anything into an ice cream. Unfortunately all the other quick fixes just aren't panning out.

My takeaways are that anything with uncooked dairy is at risk of turning to butter, higher fat the higher risk. And that you want your base to be ~ 6c colder than ideal serving temp, this means it should usually be frozen in a -18C freezer.

This is my minute maid pink lemonade experiment - 50% concentrate 50% water. I froze on Lite Ice Cream which I think is my new favourite button. It came out very smooth, no ice crystals again. However, as you might be able to see from the photo it isn't at all scoopable/doesn't pack nice/feels like parking lot snow after it has rained. Probably due to the low solids content.

20211011_091940.thumb.jpg.a3a4e47239e272f3d29e59fdd4523bcc.jpg

Edited by andrewk512 (log)
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

I made David Lebovitz's Peach Ice Cream.  We really liked it.

• Like 2

When you open a #10 can of Stanislav Tomatoes and portion out 500 g bags to freeze, you are left with some of the tastiest tomato juice you will ever have.

Decided to add a bit of salt to some and a bit of sorbet stabilizer and give it a go.

AAD1CE09-C14C-44F8-8AEB-06058200B439.thumb.jpeg.bc75f9e5c1d0a136a030e4e80ce73796.jpeg

After one sorbet spin

0904EABE-B2D0-484C-81F1-01ECA7F5A262.thumb.jpeg.621bfca3885630bbe2dec13fcabf5c18.jpeg

after two re-spins and another sorbet spin 

EE18F421-1F00-476E-9B07-8413564DB1F3.thumb.jpeg.4c23456cc81c7b4dd3751b3aaeb516dd.jpeg

drizzled with a bit of worstershire sauce

The rest was returned to the bottle to be consumed as juice!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1