• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pacojet Competitor? The Ninja Creami

andrewk512

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

@andrewk512 

any idea if the amount on the sides and bottom

get's incorporated after 1 or 2 ' re-processing ? '

mine arrived , and its resting

comfortably in the shipping box

for now

I have not had to try the re-process button yet. I would test it but I think it would actually melt a bunch of these ice creams

I did the Philadelphia style vanilla just now. This one sat in my conventional freezer overnight. There was actually no hardening on the walls. I think maybe the hardening on the walls might have been cause the exterior of my blast-chilled containers was too cold for the machine to process. It was also quieter today than when processing my blast chilled containers last night

I actually do not mind the noise it's just that I live in a poorly insulated townhome and don't want my neighbours to wonder why im running power tools inside all day every day

20210909_155443.thumb.jpg.8109def60615e69dd1755c7da2ced62f.jpg

Dana Cree's HMNIIC Philadelphia base with vanilla & cremodan 30. Her recipes have incorrect conversion between the grams and cups measurements. My gf made this base so she used the cups measurements cause she hates weighing things...

Pre process temp -18C. Post-process -10C. There was a faint hint of ice crystals right at the end if i grinded my teeth, very subtle. The overall texture was very dense and creamy. I personally prefer ice cream a little harder than this, but that could've also been impacted by the hot spoon I used to quenelle. Maybe the Pacojet recommendations for prefreezing to -22C is the way to go. Ideally I would blast chill this now to stop further ice crystal formation but I will see how it does cooling back to -18C in my regular freezer.

Oh also for this one I pressed the Gelato button, hoping for a denser product as recommended. I unfortunately have no reference of comparison to comment on any differences

Edited by andrewk512 (log)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

You guys are way over-thinking this.  It's not THAT loud.  About the same as my Blendtec or coffee grinder.  Just walk into the next room.

LOL That's exactly why my Vitamix gathers dust most of the year; if I can plausibly use my Cuise instead I invariably will.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A can of Kesar mango pulp - one gelato spin -

IMG_3739.thumb.jpeg.07bd59d0c710b92235cdb223384c023c.jpeg

IMG_3740.thumb.jpeg.a2b179db03ca3debc2ca8488f461e904.jpeg

IMG_3741.thumb.jpeg.7c74e6f67552c07fb88a753ce542f7de.jpeg

Extremely intense flavor - wonderfully smooth texture. I'll perhaps add a bit of cream next time around to make it a bit less intense.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Extremely intense flavor - wonderfully smooth texture. I'll perhaps add a bit of cream next time around to make it a bit less intense.

Love it - really makes me reflect when, despite all our tinkering, recipes, and intervention to make the best food, we can just throw a can in a machine and make a great product

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Nice!  Love mango.  How clean were the sides and bottom?  @JeanneCake  Repeat after me - we will not buy the Ninja Creami!

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

@Kerry Beal Did you tell us you bought one?  Did I miss it?

This afternoon I mixed up another batch of chocolate ice cream, but not from a recipe in the book.  I used lactose-free half and half, sugar, vanilla extract, espresso powder and cacao powder.  I also used my normal glycerin hack and also added some Perfect Sorbet stabilizer from Modernist Pantry (because it doesn't have to be heated to hydrate).  (If it turns out good I will post the amounts of each.) If this works I will try subbing an allulose blend for the sugar.  And if that works I will try almond milk instead of the half and half.  I will report back tomorrow after spinning.

Another thing I want to try is cherry pie sorbet but with a "no added sugar" can.

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

I’m not over thinking; I’m not even buying.

You also weren't suggesting noise cancelling Apple earbuds as a solution, so you're good...   And you're not buying, yet....   😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

I was looking at the ingredient list for my soft serve mix that is my go to base (with almond milk).  Besides sugars the other significant ingredient is coconut oil. Since the mix is dry, it’s obviously powdered oil. So I decided to search for that and found some on Amazon, so I will try adding some of that (at some point) and see where that gets us. 

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Where did you buy it? Locally?

7 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Nice!  Love mango.  How clean were the sides and bottom?  @JeanneCake  Repeat after me - we will not buy the Ninja Creami!

Not sure about the bottom - but you can see the sides. 

6 hours ago, mgaretz said:

@Kerry Beal Did you tell us you bought one?  Did I miss it?

This afternoon I mixed up another batch of chocolate ice cream, but not from a recipe in the book.  I used lactose-free half and half, sugar, vanilla extract, espresso powder and cacao powder.  I also used my normal glycerin hack and also added some Perfect Sorbet stabilizer from Modernist Pantry (because it doesn't have to be heated to hydrate).  (If it turns out good I will post the amounts of each.) If this works I will try subbing an allulose blend for the sugar.  And if that works I will try almond milk instead of the half and half.  I will report back tomorrow after spinning.

Another thing I want to try is cherry pie sorbet but with a "no added sugar" can.

You didn't miss it - it was an impulse thing and life got in the way of sharing!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dhardy123 said:

Where did you buy it? Locally?

Online - Bed, Bath and Beyond. Ordered Thursday night before the holiday - received Wednesday. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mgaretz said:

You also weren't suggesting noise cancelling Apple earbuds as a solution, so you're good...   And you're not buying, yet....   😉

I'm waiting for 2.0, and to hear about its sturdiness. I had my Lello for like 15 years and then gifted it to a friend.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

If adding some kind of cream, maybe try some coconut milk - I love the combination of coconut milk and mango.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Today's experiments:

1) Watermelon sorbet with ideal serving temp -18C, no stabilizer (request from a FB group I am in). Freezer temp -16C, post processing temp -12C. Complete failure, chunky, unable to reprocess cause it is too soft.

2) Grapefruit sorbet with ideal serving temp -18C, this was a failed experiment from leftover liquid nitro I had last week (volume too small to freeze properly and incorporate enough air). Freezer temp -16C, post processing temp -12C. An even looser textured failure (probably cause it was stabilized)

3) Half recipe Under Pressure's White Chocolate Snow with ideal serving temp adjusted to -6C (I was scared to overstress the machine by processing a "snow"). Initial temp -12C. Post-process temp -4C. Too smooth to be snow.

All are going into the blast chiller to ideally get them to -26C to re-attempt processing. I think the problem is the freezing point depression of my typical recipes is TOO high, usually people have the other problem. I will need to try more conventional recipes with more standard ideal serving temps.

Hopefully the snow works on time because I am having some friends over for dinner tomorrow - I am wanting to serve white chocolate snow with passionfruit sorbet (will use EMP's standard recipe after today's lessons).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Re-ran at -26C

20210910_200429.thumb.jpg.062ddbdab93e2a7961507adeb7e23fc1.jpg

Perfect white chocolate snow. Preprocess -26C. Post process -13C. This thing melts incredibly fast. Use the original recipe and you should be able to do it in a very cold home freezer, or deep freezer ideal. Work quickly. This really shows that we can replicate pacojet recipes though.

20210910_201234.thumb.jpg.023202a84f24d6be95896ec860095b74.jpg

This is a -18C serving temp watermelon sorbet I did. Preprocess -26c, postprocess -18c. I've never made it so I have no reference standard. It was a bit more icy than my other products, but watermelon is a hard ingredient to sorbet. At the request of a facebook friend I did it with no stabilizer. 

397g watermelon, 90g dextrose, 30g sugar, citric and malic acid to taste. 1/2 tsp of powdered gelatin (hydrated in the usual fashion)

And finally I re-ran a failed Grapefruit Hops recipe (tried it in liquid nitro last week). I had about 200ml to run. It processed from -26c to -16c. The smaller volumes warm more with processing, unsurprising. It had similar iciness but grapefruit has similar recipe based setbacks to watermelon.

Take aways:

1) Snows are possible

2) I have to return to standard recipes and not recipes with ridiculous freezing depressions

3) As good as it is it still cannot work magic. However, I think by using ingredients with lower freezing depression I will accomplish a smoother texture. The Ninja seems to have a sweet point - too watery and its not strong enough to blend, too solid and it makes snow. I suspect this sweet point will be more optimal at a warmer temp than my very cold processing temps just due to the efficiency of the machine

4) I think my watermelon and grapefruit recipes are not good representative recipes if considering to purchase the machine, they were very experimental, made by fooling around in the Ice Cream Calculator

20210910_201514.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, weinoo said:

I'm waiting for 2.0, and to hear about its sturdiness. I had my Lello for like 15 years and then gifted it to a friend.

But what is the sweet little machine you bought to replace it?    Is it now chopped liver?

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.