• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andrewk512

andrewk512

I haven't done much interesting lately except this past week I did a pressure cooked hibiscus sorbet I am very happy with

Pressure Cooked Hibiscus Sorbet

• 25g dried hibiscus
  • 450g water
  • 150g sucrose
  • 40g atomized glucose
  • 22g inulin
  • 2g sorbet stabilizer
  • Pinch of salt

The hibiscus and water are pressure cooked for 15 mins on high (I did it in a bowl set on a rack in the cooker). Everything then blended together for 60 seconds on max in the vita mix, strain, freeze, and process. There is a lot of air bubbles which didn't create a nice appearance so I ran it a few times through the vacuum sealer. Super intense hibiscus flavor with very smooth texture in the end.

I want to translate the technique to other dried ingredients. When I am back at home I am thinking a pressure cooked black lime sorbet will be the next idea.

I was showing someone how to make ice cream today on their Cuisinart Ice-30. Even when using a good recipe and technique the difference in the ice crystal size in what I am used to in the Ninja Creami and the product from the Ice-30 was night and day. I am not sure how the Creami compares to a compressor machine but this comparison really reaffirms my love for the Creami. However, it does highlight an issue with the creami and that is the air gaps it introduces. The ninja sort of whips a vortex through the center of the pint and then my quenelles often have little air gaps in them. I am thinking maybe moving the ice cream to a different pint and pressing it down to get all the air out for using might be my next move.

Last month I took the creami to a friend's restaurant and we used it to process the sorbet course. While it was only a seating of 16 people, things worked quite well and I convinced him to buy one afterwards. 2 pints was plenty for 16 quenelles. He was also previously using an Ice-30

vl0k3gyyp7ia1.jpg

andrewk512

andrewk512

I haven't done much interesting lately except this past week I did a pressure cooked hibiscus sorbet I am very happy with

Pressure Cooked Hibiscus Sorbet

• 25g dried hibiscus
  • 450g water
  • 150g sucrose
  • 40g atomized glucose
  • 22g inulin
  • 2g sorbet stabilizer
  • Pinch of salt

The hibiscus and water are pressure cooked for 15 mins on high (I did it in a bowl set on a rack in the cooker). Everything then blended together for 60 seconds on max in the vita mix, strain, freeze, and process. There is a lot of air bubbles which didn't create a nice appearance so I ran it a few times through the vacuum sealer. Super intense hibiscus flavor with very smooth texture in the end.

I want to translate the technique to other dried ingredients. When I am back at home I am thinking a pressure cooked black lime sorbet will be the next idea.

I was showing someone how to make ice cream today on their Cuisinart Ice-30. Even when using a good recipe and technique the difference in the ice crystal size in what I am used to in the Ninja Creami and the product from the Ice-30 was night and day. I am not sure how the Creami compares to a compressor machine but this comparison really reaffirms my love for the Creami. However, it does highlight an issue with the creami and that is the air gaps it introduces. The ninja sort of whips a vortex through the center of the pint and then my quenelles often have little air gaps in them. I am thinking maybe moving the ice cream to a different pint and pressing it down to get all the air out for using might be my next move.

Last month I took the creami to a friend's restaurant and we used it to process the sorbet course. While it was only a seating of 16 people, things worked quite well and I convinced him to buy one afterwards. 2 pints was plenty for 16 quenelles. He was also previously using an Ice-30

I'd love to try this creme fraiche ice cream recipe @sverreef but it is paywalled. I have been passively looking for a new base as I am finding the HMNIIC one too chewy nowadays for my tastes

vl0k3gyyp7ia1.jpg