• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

On 10/10/2022 at 6:32 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Did you see this post from @paulraphael?  He summarizes a bunch of work he's done and includes a link to an article on his site with more information:  Vegan Ice Cream: It Can Actually Be Good!

I made this as written, except subbed maltodextrin for trehalose and half vanilla bean instead of vanilla extract; vanilla bean blended to oblivion in the vitamix with the cashews.  The base was pretty sweet and quite vanilla in flavor, it had quite a bit of froth on top.  The recipe filled two creami cannisters precicely.  The frozen cylinder had a little hill in the middle, see photo. 

Spun on "sorbet" setting after 24+ hours, and the resulting texture was close to a gelato, silky smooth, with a slight powder on the aftertaste.. probably cashew or vanilla bean.  It was strained through regular sieve, next time I might do so through a cloth filter despite how annoying that would be.

Hand-mixed with oreo cookies, it was my best attempt yet!  Comments from the family member with casein and egg allergies: "this is delicious.  I wish the base had a little more flavor".  I'm not sure what that means.  Perhaps he is used to the commercial oat-milk ice creams, and is missing that oatmilk flavor.  Hmm.

Part of me now wants to try variations with emulsifiers (polysorbate 80, mono/diglycerides), roasted cashews, unrefined coconut oil, cacao butter, etc.  I'm also wondering about changing the sugars to have a slightly softer product after chilling in the fridge.

One of these days I'll work on presentation so I could make scoops as pretty as @andrewk512 and @blue_dolphin make.  For now, it's everyone surrounding creami/talenti container with a spoon direct and double-dipping until gone 😛

frozendome.jpg

spun cashew base.jpg

cashew cookies n cream.jpg

jedovaty

jedovaty

On 10/10/2022 at 6:32 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Did you see this post from @paulraphael?  He summarizes a bunch of work he's done and includes a link to an article on his site with more information:  Vegan Ice Cream: It Can Actually Be Good!

I made this as written, except subbed maltodextrin for trehalose and half vanilla bean instead of vanilla extract; vanilla bean blended to oblivion in the vitamix with the cashews.  The base was pretty sweet and quite vanilla in flavor, it had quite a bit of froth on top.  The recipe filled two creami cannisters precicely.  The frozen cylinder had a little hill in the middle, see photo. 

Spun on "sorbet" setting after 24+ hours, and the resulting texture was close to a gelato, silky smooth, with a slight powder on the aftertaste.. probably cashew or vanilla bean.  It was strained through regular sieve, next time I might do so through a cloth filter despite how annoying that would be.

Hand-mixed with oreo cookies, it was my best attempt yet!  Comments from the family member with casein and egg allergies: "this is delicious.  I wish the base had a little more flavor".  I'm not sure what that means.  Perhaps he is used to the commercial oat-milk ice creams, and is missing that oatmilk flavor.  Hmm.

Part of me now wants to try variations with emulsifiers (polysorbate 80, mono/diglycerides), roasted cashews, unrefined coconut oil, cacao butter, etc.  I'm also wondering about changing the sugars to have a slightly softer product after chilling in the fridge.

One of these days I'll work on presentation so I could make scoops as pretty as @andrewk512 and @blue_dolphin make.  For now, it's everyone surrounding creami/talenti container to mouth with double-dipping until gone 😛

frozendome.jpg

spun cashew base.jpg

cashew cookies n cream.jpg