• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andrewk512

andrewk512

15 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Happy to report my new recipe stayed nice and scoopable after 24 hours in the freezer.  No sign of iciness.

I have this weird and unscientifically based theory that post-processing hardening is from the unfrozen water in the mixture turning to ice, and that because the mixtures processed by the Ninja are thoroughly frozen before processing, there is little/no residual water to turn to ice post-processing and thus minimal hardening even if the ice cream gets much colder in the freezer overnight. Effectively most of it is already very finely pulverized ice so it can't harden further. This is at least how I explain why my sorbets with ideal serving temp of -12C are completely soft and scoopable at -18C which wouldn't have been possible in my other machine

andrewk512

andrewk512

14 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Happy to report my new recipe stayed nice and scoopable after 24 hours in the freezer.  No sign of iciness.

I have this weird and unscientifically based theory that post-processing hardening is from the unfrozen water in the mixture turning to ice, and that because the mixtures processed by the Ninja are thoroughly frozen before processing, there is little/no residual water to turn to ice post-processing and thus minimal hardening even if the ice cream gets much colder in the freezer overnight. This is at least how I explain why my sorbets with ideal serving temp of -12C are completely soft and scoopable at -18C which wouldn't have been possible in my other machine