• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andrewk512

andrewk512

Today's experiments:

1) Watermelon sorbet with ideal serving temp -18C, no stabilizer (request from a FB group I am in). Freezer temp -16C, post processing temp -12C. Complete failure, chunky, unable to reprocess cause it is too soft.

2) Grapefruit sorbet with ideal serving temp -18C, this was a failed experiment from leftover liquid nitro I had last week (volume too small to freeze properly and incorporate enough air). Freezer temp -16C, post processing temp -12C. An even looser textured failure (probably cause it was stabilized)

3) Half recipe Under Pressure's White Chocolate Snow with ideal serving temp adjusted to -6C (I was scared to overstress the machine by processing a "snow"). Initial temp -12C. Post-process temp -4C. Too smooth to be snow.

All are going into the blast chiller to ideally get them to -26C to re-attempt processing. I think the problem is the freezing point depression of my typical recipes is TOO high, usually people have the other problem. I will need to try more conventional recipes with more standard ideal serving temps.

Hopefully the snow works on time because I am having some friends over for dinner tomorrow - I am wanting to serve white chocolate snow with passionfruit sorbet (will use EMP's standard recipe after today's lessons).

andrewk512

andrewk512

Today's experiments:

1) Watermelon sorbet with ideal serving temp -18C, no stabilizer (request from a FB group I am in). Freezer temp -16C, post processing temp -12C. Complete failure, chunky, unable to reprocess cause it is too soft.

2) Grapefruit sorbet with ideal serving temp -18C, this was a failed experiment from leftover liquid nitro I had last week (volume too small to freeze properly and incorporate enough air). Freezer temp -16C, post processing temp -12C. An even looser textured failure (probably cause it was stabilized)

3) Half recipe Under Pressure's White Chocolate Snow with ideal serving temp adjusted to -6C (I was scared to overstress the machine by processing a "snow"). Initial temp -12C. Post-process temp -4C. Too smooth to be snow.

All are going into the blast chiller to ideally get them to -26C to re-attempt processing. I think the problem is the freezing point depression of my typical recipes is TOO high, usually people have the other problem. I will need to try more conventional recipes with more standard ideal serving temps.

Hopefully the snow works on time because I am having some friends over for dinner - I am wanting to serve white chocolate snow with passionfruit sorbet (will use EMP's standard recipe after today's lessons).