• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

mgaretz

mgaretz

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I had watched a YouTube video and the presenter claimed to be using recipes from the book and it called for cream cheese. I am happy to know that that’s an error.

It's not an error - the basic recipes in the book do call for cream cheese (just a tablespoon) but a lot of them don't.  I certainly won't be using it so we will see if something needs to be substituted or not.  I will likely get some non-dairy cream cheese if leaving it out doesn't give satisfactory results.

Jeni's ice cream recipes usually call for cream cheese and I seem to remember a discussion somewhere here about what the effect was.  Possibly that can shed some light on a substitute or two.

mgaretz

mgaretz

55 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I had watched a YouTube video and the presenter claimed to be using recipes from the book and it called for cream cheese. I am happy to know that that’s an error.

It's not an error - the basic recipes in the book do call for cream cheese (just a tablespoon) but a lot of them don't.  I certainly won't be using it so we will see if something needs to be substituted or not.  I will likely get some non-dairy cream cheese if leaving it out doesn't give satisfactory results.