Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Pacojet Competitor? The Ninja Creami


andrewk512
 Share

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:


Personally, I don’t see the 3-cup containers as a big selling feature, though the 1 pint capacity is called out as a negative in a lot of reviews. Most ice cream recipes for home cooks make around a quart. It’s so easy to make a half recipe or make a full recipe and split evenly between 2 containers. Three cups is neither here nor there. 

 

If you zoom in on the product image  it appears that the new one has the ability to process either the top or bottom half of the container separately, which is kind of nice. It also appears to have a countdown timer, though I question its utility given it's a single digit!

 

The drinkables don't appeal to me much (and my inner curmudgeon is irked by the words "creamiccino" and "slushi"). But I suppose if I were in the market for the first time, I might like the new one better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dtremit said:

 

If you zoom in on the product image  it appears that the new one has the ability to process either the top or bottom half of the container separately, which is kind of nice. It also appears to have a countdown timer, though I question its utility given it's a single digit!

 

The drinkables don't appeal to me much (and my inner curmudgeon is irked by the words "creamiccino" and "slushi"). But I suppose if I were in the market for the first time, I might like the new one better.

 

I just assumed that was a "how many quarters to process" indicator

The fact its a timer is hilarious

Does the ice cream take too long to process for people?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been poking around the FB Creami groups and I observe that most of the people there are obsessed with dumping "SFP" into every batch and have figured out that that means sugar free pudding mix... has anybody here played with pudding mixes in the Creami in general, or is that a hack for people with specific dietary needs that general consumers have no need to worry about?  What does a tablespoon of pudding mix do the protein drinks that are its usual companion over there?  

  • Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

What does a tablespoon of pudding mix do the protein drinks that are its usual companion over there?  

My understanding is that it is supposed to improve texture. I have not tried it but I would assume a small amount of corn starch would do the same thing. They seem to add it to recipes other than protein shake ones as well.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tikidoc said:

My understanding is that it is supposed to improve texture. I have not tried it but I would assume a small amount of corn starch would do the same thing. They seem to add it to recipes other than protein shake ones as well.

 

Indeed, the primary ingredients (outside of flavoring and sweetening agents) appear to be "modified cornstarch," maltodextrin, and xanthan gum, all of which seem to pop up in ice cream recipes from time to time.

 

That said, one thing I've noticed about Facebook recipes is they seem to always include a weird surplus of flavored, sweetened ingredients — over in the Instant Pot group people are obsessed with yogurt made with flavored creamers. No thank you. It works fine with just milk.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A couple of sorbet successes recently:

 

Lychee (2 drained cans of lychees in syrup, pureed, with a tablespoon or so of liquid glucose and syrup from the can to top off to the max fill line)

Mango-Coconut (used up a 14oz can of Del Monte mango bits after my Indian puree seemed off; pureed and added 1T glucose. That got me to about 2/3 full; made up the rest with coconut milk and a few TB of sugar)

 

Both did great after a single spin. I didn't go through a formal calculation of sugar percentage — froze these in a hurry — but I think they were on the lower side.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there a passable Creami version of the Serendipity Frrrozen Hot Chocolate.

 

Asking for a friend.....no, really.   We were talking about kitchen appliances and she wasn't aware of the Creami and asked if it could replicate that dessert.  She apparently always made a pilgrimage to Serendipity on her yearly NYC trips.   I'm not familiar with that dessert or the Creami so I couldn't speculate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Is there a passable Creami version of the Serendipity Frrrozen Hot Chocolate.

 

Asking for a friend.....no, really.   We were talking about kitchen appliances and she wasn't aware of the Creami and asked if it could replicate that dessert.  She apparently always made a pilgrimage to Serendipity on her yearly NYC trips.   I'm not familiar with that dessert or the Creami so I couldn't speculate.

 

Has your friend tried any of the recipes available online that make this in a blender?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

 

Has your friend tried any of the recipes available online that make this in a blender?

 

LOL, I'm sure she has not.   But, since she had asked me about it, I've investigated online recipes.   Doesn't sound like anything special until I looked at the ingredients of the Serendipity frrrozen mix(tm) and it says a blend of 14(!?!) gourmet cocoas.  yeesh.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

 

LOL, I'm sure she has not.   But, since she had asked me about it, I've investigated online recipes.   Doesn't sound like anything special until I looked at the ingredients of the Serendipity frrrozen mix(tm) and it says a blend of 14(!?!) gourmet cocoas.  yeesh.

 

I have no idea what this, but from the ingredient list it looks like you take a standard philadelphia ice cream base, season it with powdered hot chocolate, stir in some cool whip/sweetened whipped cream and "semi sweet chocolate curls". Should be pretty straight forward to reverse engineer.

Edited by andrewk512 (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've been using our Creami regularly -- at least a couple of pints a month, sometimes more.  A few highlights:

 

* Sorbets!!  Generally speaking, we have found the sorbets to have amazing texture.  Our favorite so far has been blood orange sorbet.  My dad (a chef) instructed me to first make a sugar syrup (bring it to 240F) and then add the blood orange juice.  It was divine, and I think less icy than sorbets we've made without that trick.  We also enjoyed lemon-lime sorbet. 

*Butterscotch ice cream.  Hubby demanded a re-make of butterscotch ice cream (used the recipe from HMNIIC) for his birthday and he was thrilled with it (as he was the first time, hence pulling in the birthday favor).  I thought it was good (great texture) but the flavor was SUPER intense.  I thought it might have been more enjoyable with a mix-in, like a toffee-based mix-in, but he didn't share or leave it around long enough for me to try it out.

* Chocolate ice cream -- OMG.  Well, I have long not liked chocolate ice cream, but the kiddos and hubby joined forces to demand it.  So, I made the basic chocolate ice cream from the Perfect Scoop, and it totally converted me.  A few days later, my kiddos asked for milkshakes using that ice cream, so we did -- and it was the best milkshake I've ever had.  Rich, decadent, thick & intense, it felt like the kind of thing you would get 2 ounces of at a very fancy restaurant for dessert and you'd be thrilled.  I snuck my own milkshake using the remainder of the choc ice cream later that same night 🤣  (This weekend, I wanted to make the ice cream again, but I didn't have enough dark chocolate so I used some milk chocolate for about half of the called for chocolate, figuring I like milk chocolate and have a sweet tooth....I haven't frozen it yet so not sure how it'll turn out, but so far the base seems, predictably, less intense.  I don't think it will be as good, but I'm hopeful it'll be good enough.)

 

It is so much easier to make ice cream in a quart-sized volume that that's what we've been doing, dividing up the mixture between two pints.  But, that means our 6 pints (4 that came with it when we purchased from Costco, and the 2 I sweet-talked Ninja into sending based on the misleading "2 free pints" offer) really don't go as far!  I saw that Kohl's has a set of 4 for $30, and is currently offering 20% off, bringing the price down to $24.  Sharing in case anyone else is in the market for more pints!

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...