Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Pacojet Competitor? The Ninja Creami


andrewk512
 Share

Recommended Posts

Anyone tried making their own espresso powder? Apparently you take the used pucks, crumble them then dry them - store in airtight container.

 

p

  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Costco Canada has it for $200.  They seem to be carrying a lot of Ninja products lately.

Ah. It's a $20 instant coupon through today, otherwise it is $180 here in california.  Probably a memorial day thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Mango spruce tip sherbet

 

Blank sherbet recipe from HMNIIC, for fruit puree I used 50% unsweetened pureed mango and 50% blanched and shocked spruce tips (and maybe a little bit of green coloring to 'enhance the eating experience') processed on gelato. In this book I find a 66% recipe does a healthy fill of a Creami pint, with a bit left over for margins for tasting

20220530_194340.jpg

Edited by andrewk512 (log)
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That looks delicious, Andrew. It's probably a bit too early yet, but this reminds me that I need to check if the local spruce tips can be picked this weekend...

 

How was the flavor pairing between mango and spruce tips by the way?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Refurbed woot delivery eta 6/13 🤪

I don't have any ice cream/gelato books.  What are some good sources, recipes, or places to learn frozen-treat science so I can make my own recipes?  I think I'm looking for combination of traditional (for me) and specialty diet (family members are allergic to eggs and dairy/casein).  I have the pacojet recipes bookmarked, and read the go-to pistachio/nut butter recipe on modernist's website.  Anything else?

I've read through this thread a couple times now - I understand the aversion some people here have to the unique ingredients such as the gums and stuff - but my disdain for them also comes from a different paradigm, whereby I dislike waste.  I don't use them up before they expire, then must toss them.  For example, in 2017 and 2018, I made vegan marshmallows a handful of times, then she dumped me, and a couple years later ended up throwing out $75USD worth of ingredients because they went bad (one of the gums was stupid expensive, and all smelled absolutely vile a year post expiration date, one had bugs, another went moldy).  Hopefully I'll make these frozen treats more but.. hmmm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, jedovaty said:

What are some good sources, recipes, or places to learn frozen-treat science so I can make my own recipes?  I think I'm looking for combination of traditional (for me) and specialty diet (family members are allergic to eggs and dairy/casein).  I have the pacojet recipes bookmarked, and read the go-to pistachio/nut butter recipe on modernist's website.  Anything else?


Dana Cree's Hello My Name Is Ice Cream is an excellent book. I can’t speak to dairy-free.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, jedovaty said:

Refurbed woot delivery eta 6/13 🤪

I don't have any ice cream/gelato books.  What are some good sources, recipes, or places to learn frozen-treat science so I can make my own recipes?  I think I'm looking for combination of traditional (for me) and specialty diet (family members are allergic to eggs and dairy/casein).  I have the pacojet recipes bookmarked, and read the go-to pistachio/nut butter recipe on modernist's website.  Anything else?

I've read through this thread a couple times now - I understand the aversion some people here have to the unique ingredients such as the gums and stuff - but my disdain for them also comes from a different paradigm, whereby I dislike waste.  I don't use them up before they expire, then must toss them.  For example, in 2017 and 2018, I made vegan marshmallows a handful of times, then she dumped me, and a couple years later ended up throwing out $75USD worth of ingredients because they went bad (one of the gums was stupid expensive, and all smelled absolutely vile a year post expiration date, one had bugs, another went moldy).  Hopefully I'll make these frozen treats more but.. hmmm.

 

I'll refrain from noting you may not have made the marshmallows often enough, but I will share I keep some gums and starches in the freezer.  Not that I've had any go bad just sitting on the bedroom shelf.

 

  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2022 at 4:19 PM, andrewk512 said:

What are people's thoughts on chamber vacuuming the ice cream after processing? Or maybe even drilling a hole to attach a food saver hose attachment to the pint container for use during processing? Am I asking for trouble? I want to get rid of the air holes that make the final product difficult to smoothly quenelle

I was wondering about air bubbles, but before getting to this, do you think the container lid will be strong enough to take the vacuum?  It seems too floppy/flimsy and would suck down, deform, or even crack.  Maybe pull a vacuum in a different container, then gently pour into the creami one?

 

In reviewing many recipes last couple days, it appears the blender is used quite a bit, and my experiences with a vitamix yielded a lot of excess bubbles and foam.  Wouldn't this cause the resulting frozen treat to be full of air which ultimately leads to ice and unpleasant texture?

 

After reading about using a vacuum sealer to pull out the bubbles a couple weeks ago on this forum, I tried it with my food saver mason jar hose thing on some blended veggie soup**.  The contents in the jar expanded very quick and could have resulted with hot soup everywhere, fortunately, I stopped it in time.  Use caution.

 

Oh, and thank you for the idea that one can use the foodsaver hose with other lids besides just the mason jar attachment.  Can't believe I didn't think of this after 7 years with this thing haha. 🤦‍♂️  I can use a larger jar, poke a hole in the lid, stick in a grommet, and all's good.  Thanks!!

 

**all remaining veggies in fridge near wilting get boiled in water then blended into a hot smoothie sort of soup thing, called green soup, brown soup, or camo soup mmmmm

Edited by jedovaty (log)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jedovaty said:

I was wondering about air bubbles, but before getting to this, do you think the container lid will be strong enough to take the vacuum?  It seems too floppy/flimsy and would suck down, deform, or even crack.  Maybe pull a vacuum in a different container, then gently pour into the creami one?

 

In reviewing many recipes last couple days, it appears the blender is used quite a bit, and my experiences with a vitamix yielded a lot of excess bubbles and foam.  Wouldn't this cause the resulting frozen treat to be full of air which ultimately leads to ice and unpleasant texture?

 

After reading about using a vacuum sealer to pull out the bubbles a couple weeks ago on this forum, I tried it with my food saver mason jar hose thing on some blended veggie soup**.  The contents in the jar expanded very quick and could have resulted with hot soup everywhere, fortunately, I stopped it in time.  Use caution.

 

Oh, and thank you for the idea that one can use the foodsaver hose with other lids besides just the mason jar attachment.  Can't believe I didn't think of this after 7 years with this thing haha. 🤦‍♂️  I can use a larger jar, poke a hole in the lid, stick in a grommet, and all's good.  Thanks!!

 

**all remaining veggies in fridge near wilting get boiled in water then blended into a hot smoothie sort of soup thing, called green soup, brown soup, or camo soup mmmmm

 

I vacuum seal round plastic containers in my chamber sealer all the time, I wouldn't do anything non-round though. The lid itself though I'm not sure, especially if you can't drill a perfect hole. Pre-de-aerating is probably a good idea if I wasn't so darn lazy.

 

Make sure your contents are always cold before sealing. I had a spill over with a room temperature blended shrimp/koji/water mix last night which was a near disaster

 

I will try sealing the post-processed ice cream first next time I make something, I forgot with my latest ice cream

Edited by andrewk512 (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I have a 7 or 8 year old foodsaver, no chamber sealer (yet?).  My fridge has a quick-chill drawer with fan that will be perfect to cool things down. 

Let us know if you notice a difference with the vacuumed base.  My wootcreami arrived yesterday, 11 days earlier than expected, and sadly I don't have time until the actual expected delivery day to play with it.  Meantime I should probably order some exotic ingredients like gums and add ins I suppose - take the easy route and go with the modernist pantry mixes, or pick up individual types mentioned in MC and member Paul Raphael's web log?

Edited by jedovaty (log)
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So when you have been making lots of ice creams with lots of yolks - you end up with a jar full of whites in the fridge.

 

Here's what the whipping disc can do with about a cup of whites and 1 1/2 cups of sugar. Pavlova here I come.

 

IMG_4380.thumb.JPG.e8773bdac2b89562dd848dffbb75ff12.JPG

 

I added the vinegar, vanilla and cornstarch after - next time I think I'll just bung it all in right at the start. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Kerry Beal 

 

which machine ?

 

I could make an educated guess   ...

 

so some one might try this the iCream 

 

if they had the ingredients  

 

and few other ideas on theoir disposal.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kerry Beal 

 

which machine ?

 

I could make an educated guess   ...

 

so some one might try this the iCream 

 

if they had the ingredients  

 

and few other ideas on theoir disposal.

 

 

Not sure if the blade in the creami would allow that - but the Pacojet instructions do mention using the blade for whipping. So perhaps I should do a little trial when I get my next egg whites. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/29/2022 at 9:23 PM, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_4367.thumb.JPG.3b2d1f6138d71b55e4641af672463345.JPG

 

The Pacojet has some blades for use with non frozen food - a 4 blade cutter, a two blade cutter and a whipping disc (that looks like it should be able to grate cheese). Here's what happens if you put about 500 ml of whipping cream in an ice cold container and run the whipping program (which takes about 1 minute). Perfect whipped cream. I suspect I might actually be able to whip lower fat cream as well - experiments will ensue. 

 

There was nothing in the house that called for whipped cream - but hey - heat some rice pudding - top with whipped cream - because you can!

 

As yet I possess no Pacojet, however I do have a Blendtec Frothing Jar...

 

Calories06042022.jpg

 

Ice cream is Rose's Chocolate.  And at a quarter the cost of a Pacojet you must admit the Blendtec is a bargain.

 

  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

As yet I possess no Pacojet, however I do have a Blendtec Frothing Jar...

 

Calories06042022.jpg

 

Ice cream is Rose's Chocolate.  And at a quarter the cost of a Pacojet you must admit the Blendtec is a bargain.

 

True that!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still don't know when I'll get my Creami. The four extra pints I ordered from abroad arrived today however, and an assortment of stabilizers from Modernist Pantry is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. That means I can prepare and prefreeze a few tests in advance 🙂

 

I guess I'll probably end up with a pint or two of rhubarb sorbet, since we have a lot of that available in our garden at the moment. And this sorrel sherbet recipe looks very tempting as well:

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll have to look up the recipe when I'm back with my cooking books tomorrow, to see if I have the necessary ingredients and equipment to make an attempt at that recipe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Too bad he didn't actually make ice cream in both machines, and then taste them side by side.

 

Or is that too simple?

Indeed - would make sense to me. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He does comment briefly on the results from the different machines, but his main thrust is comparing the pros and cons of each machine. I think it was a well done and informative video.

If we want taste comparisons, which will always be subjective, just ask Kerry! :)

 

p

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...