• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pacojet Competitor? The Ninja Creami

andrewk512

I don't have one of these (yet) but if you're re spinning after scooping, you do have to make sure that the top has been flattened completely. Is that right?

Anyone tried to see what happens if its not completely flat or has holes from a previous scoop?

12 minutes ago, KAD said:

I don't have one of these (yet) but if you're re spinning after scooping, you do have to make sure that the top has been flattened completely. Is that right?

Anyone tried to see what happens if its not completely flat or has holes from a previous scoop?

I spin a second time after scraping the sides - haven't paid much attention to the flat top and it seems to be ok.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KAD said:

I think it only matters for the initial spin.

• Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

3 hours ago, KAD said:

You risk breaking the blade/blade driver by throwing it off balance. I imagine this isn't much of an issue for a soft ice cream slightly off balance versus a literal block of ice frozen on an angle. If I had scooped I would roughly smooth it over before refreezing

CREAMi09222021.jpg

Cord is too short.  Had to order an extension.

Blender shown for scale.  This device reminds me ever so much of my drill press -- though my drill press is green and yellow.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 9/21/2021 at 8:21 PM, mgaretz said:

Recipe update:  Yesterday afternoon I mixed and froze a non-dairy, zero-sugar attempt.  It was my base recipe from above with sugar and flavor substitutions.

14 ozs almond milk (plain, unsweetened)

120 grams Whole Earth Allulose Baking Blend (granulated)

22 grams coconut oil powder

1 tbs glycerin

1 tsp vanilla extract

3.5 grams Perfect Sorbet stabilizer

1/4  cup cacao powder

1 tsp espresso powder

I was concerned because after blending it was quite thick.  I suspect it was because the Allulose blend has some xanthan gum, so there may have been too much stabilizer.  (I have written to them to see if I can find out how much it contains, no answer so far.)  I froze it anyway and spun it tonight on a single ice cream cycle.  It came out quite soft, very much like regular churned ice cream before freezing.  The taste was OK, very similar to other zero sugar ice creams, and it seemed a bit icy/grainy/sorbet-like but not too bad.  I left it in the container and we'll see what it's like after freezing another day.  

Update:  Tonight it was hard after being frozen for day.  I respun it on the light ice cream cycle (which seems to be running at a higher speed and for longer than the ice cream cycle - but don't quote me) and it was very good.  Gelato-like texture.  We will see what it is like tomorrow night after freezing again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

On 9/14/2021 at 2:05 PM, KennethT said:

you could always replace your bed with a captain's bed (which has drawers) - lots more room for storage!

Only now do I realize why it is called Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

Nonetheless I am sitting here with my evening mai tai, trying to choose a recipe to start with.  Plans for mango sorbet were dashed to bits when amazon lost my mango shipment.*  I have a second can of mango on order for delivery tomorrow.  Along with the extension cord I need.

My plan this afternoon was to pick up some cream cheese at Shoprite and assay the Ninja vanilla ice cream recipe.  Did not happen, what with the wind and flooding.  At least I got out of work two hours early.

*what's worse, amazon lost a camera lens I'd ordered, and then charged me for it twice.  Really.  Significant when the lens represents the better part of two month's rent.  After a long phone call I think everything is fixed.  Apparently the lens had gone missing from the amazon warehouse where it was supposed to be.  Another warehouse found one and charged me for it a second time.

However, unlike the mango, the lens is yet to ship.

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Only now do I realize why it is called Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

Nonetheless I am sitting here with my evening mai tai, trying to choose a recipe to start with.  Plans for mango sorbet were dashed to bits when amazon lost my mango shipment.*  I have a second can of mango on order for delivery tomorrow.  Along with the extension cord I need.

My plan this afternoon was to pick up some cream cheese at Shoprite and assay the Ninja vanilla ice cream recipe.  Did not happen, what with the wind and flooding.  At least I got out of work two hours early.

*what's worse, amazon lost a camera lens I'd ordered, and then charged me for it twice.  Really.  Significant when the lens represents the better part of two month's rent.  After a long phone call I think everything is fixed.  Apparently the lens had gone missing from the amazon warehouse where it was supposed to be.  Another warehouse found one and charged me for it a second time.

However, unlike the mango, the lens is yet to ship.

The strawberry ice cream is really good.

23 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Update:  Tonight it was hard after being frozen for day.  I respun it on the light ice cream cycle (which seems to be running at a higher speed and for longer than the ice cream cycle - but don't quote me) and it was very good.  Gelato-like texture.  We will see what it is like tomorrow night after freezing again.

Second update: After a day of freezing after the respin, it is scoopable, but just barely.  I let it stand out of the freezer for 15 minutes and it was easy to scoop.  Not up to my standard, so needs a bit of tweaking still.  Taste and texture were very good - no iciness at all.  So we're close.

• Like 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

Thank you all for your responses. Ordering now. I wish I wasn't so easily enabled. But on the other hand, I usually don't complain after I've got said item on my hands.

What do I do with the Lello now...:-). Just kidding, the lello stays ....

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

That's great.  I used frozen ones and let them soften a bit before cutting them.

My first batch of strawberry is chilling in the Vesta, set to -22C.  For whatever reason, Shoprite was featuring strawberries today.  There were a few different brands on offer.  I purchased one container of organic and one container of inorganic.  Turns out there should be enough berries to make three pints.  The bits I tasted were not half bad.

Whilst on the subject, what sadist would call for 1 1/2 cups of strawberries?  Why can't Ninja suggest a weight?

I followed the Ninja recipe best could, save I substituted 10g of DE 42 glucose powder for the called for teaspoon of light corn syrup.  Ninja kitchen personnel can measure a teaspoon of corn syrup, post a video, and I will watch it gladly.  Preferably with Rancho Gordo popcorn.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Ii would put money that if each of here measured out a cup and a half of strawberries we would have as many different weights.    Berry size, whole or cut up, god forbid mashed, even measuring tool.    May as well say two handfulls or...

Or 10 medium berries

• Like 1

Not sure why Kerry has better luck with mango than I do.  The first can I ordered got lost somewhere in California.  The replacement can was delayed in shipment several days, but finally made it to my doorstep this afternoon.

Packed in a paper bag.

The can is crushed and rusted.  Like it suffered fire and floods.  Which it may well have.  The amazon product page states "Refund or replacement available".  However when I tried to initiate a return I got the error:  "This item is not returnable".  A kind amazon phone rep was able to remove the charge.

The question now is do I want to try to open the can and spin it, or should I be safe and pitch it?  The contents are not leaking.  Meanwhile Alexa is reminding me I'm running low on mango pulp and asking do I want to order more.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Not sure why Kerry has better luck with mango than I do.  The first can I ordered got lost somewhere in California.  The replacement can was delayed in shipment several days, but finally made it to my doorstep this afternoon.

Packed in a paper bag.

The can is crushed and rusted.  Like it suffered fire and floods.  Which it may well have.  The amazon product page states "Refund or replacement available".  However when I tried to initiate a return I got the error:  "This item is not returnable".  A kind amazon phone rep was able to remove the charge.

The question now is do I want to try to open the can and spin it, or should I be safe and pitch it?  The contents are not leaking.  Meanwhile Alexa is reminding me I'm running low on mango pulp and asking do I want to order more.

I'd toss it.

• Thanks 1