• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pacojet Competitor? The Ninja Creami

andrewk512

41 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Another sorbet article that may be of interest, this one from yesterday's Washington Post: How to make sorbet from almost any summer fruit

They recommend a ratio of1/4 cup of corn syrup to 3/4 granulated sugar and 4 cups fruit to 1 cup of that sweetener mix.

I read that earlier today and printed the chart.  I found fhe use of corn syrup interesting.  I have some white corn syrup that I will use for that peach sorbet I want to make.  I have some Fruit Fresh which I'll use to hopefully keep the peaches from browning.

• Like 1

Any of you have a tasty, dairy and egg free vanilla base recipe for the creami?  I found a few on the creami recipe website, and there are several on the interwebs, none jump out and I'm getting too many options.

On 7/16/2022 at 4:46 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Another sorbet article that may be of interest, this one from yesterday's Washington Post: How to make sorbet from almost any summer fruit

They recommend a ratio of1/4 cup of corn syrup to 3/4 granulated sugar and 4 cups fruit to 1 cup of that sweetener mix.

For what it's worth, I really like the superiority burger sorbet recipe by Brooks Headley. You basically make a syrup of water, sugar, and the kicker is dextrose. Then you combine equal parts fruit/fruit juice to the sorbet syrup and spin. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ltjazz said:

For what it's worth, I really like the superiority burger sorbet recipe by Brooks Headley. You basically make a syrup of water, sugar, and the kicker is dextrose. Then you combine equal parts fruit/fruit juice to the sorbet syrup and spin. 

I found the recipe for blackberry sorbet and the author loved it but did note that it was so soft as ro be almost not scoopable.  What would fix this?  Less dextrose?

On 9/21/2021 at 12:47 AM, mgaretz said:

You won't.  The text is misleading.  What you will get is a 10% off coupon towards the purchase of containers.

On 9/21/2021 at 7:56 AM, Kerry Beal said:

Let me know if you get the coupon for the free containers - cause I argued that I should and that did not happen. 

Of course, after having bit the Bullet Creami, I also found this is a tad misleading...

image.thumb.jpeg.eee5056001852cf3cd84d8cd883c49e0.jpeg

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

17 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Of course, after having bit the Bullet Creami, I also this is a tad misleading...

image.thumb.jpeg.eee5056001852cf3cd84d8cd883c49e0.jpeg

Me too. After having argued with them about it, I decided to wait until there was a sale elsewhere. Of course, Ninja still gets it money but any extra proceeds will have gone to Amazon or Walmart or wherever I bought them.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Me too. After having argued with them about it, I decided to wait until there was a sale elsewhere. Of course, Ninja still gets it money but any extra proceeds will have gone to Amazon or Walmart or wherever I bought them.

Not that I was especially worried about Bezos, but I got mine on prime day for $129. Which I think was a good price.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

57 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Not that I was especially worried about Bezos, but I got mine on prime day for $129. Which I think was a good price.

Oh, I think that was a GREAT price! I was referring to the extra pints, not the original purchase.

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 hours ago, aliénor said:

elsie-d   can you post the recipe for peach sorbet. it look great and i bet it tastes as good as it looks. hoping to do it at my house

Sure.  I did not have 450 grams of fruit so I scaled the recipe to the amount I had.  This came from the Washington Post, and is for the full recipe, the addition of Fruit Fresh is mine as I was using frozen peaches and didn't want them to turn brown.  I left out the optional lemon.

Process in a blender until smooth:

4 cups 1 1/4 pounds) peaches

3/4 cup granulated sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons Fruit Fresh

1/4 cup white corn syrup

1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt.

Freeze and spin on sorbet setting.

Apparently this works with berries as well as other stone fruit.

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Wow - I don't have a picture (yet) of what I spun a few minutes ago, but tasting the strawberry ice cream I made from the recipe booklet included with the Creami, I'm pleasantly surprised. It's very good.  The only thing I did slightly differently was to run the mixture through the blender before freezing for 24 hours. My freezer is at -5℉.

I also have a frozen pint of an Arnold Palmer sorbet, following the booklet's recipe for lemon sorbet, and substituting strong iced tea for the water. I'll spin that later.

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.097bf66f0163d45c3826a9f4d90e8802.jpeg

Gotta work on the scooping technique (those are finger indents to get the scoops out! Perfectly clean fingers, that is).

These were both very good - creamy, no crystals - damn, I'm impressed!

• Like 11

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Galia melon sorbet.  I generally followed the proportions on the 1995 Cook's Illustrated PDF that @weinoo linked upthread. Starting with 375g fresh, trimmed melon put me just a smidge shy of a full container.  I used lime juice instead of lemon, added it to taste and ended up using a good bit more of it.  I had some Galia melon-infused gin in the fridge so I used that as the alcohol.  I added ~ 1/4 t of Modernist Pantry's Perfect Sorbet stabilizer, mixed in to the sugar.  Not called for in the recipe and probably not necessary but melons can tend to give me icy popsicles so I figured it couldn't hurt to try, though I don't think there's really anything wrong with a melon sorbet being a bit icy.

This is delicious and refreshing with a creamy, not icy, texture.  Galia and Saticoy melons are my favorite.  Once the Saticoys are in, it would be fun to make a trio of melon sorbets with Galia, Saticoy and watermelon. 

55B5F69B-6006-40B9-9FE3-52C78F8964AC_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.11af32e2d2f663d545acaa338251677d.jpeg

Pre-spin: -5°F, post-spin: 10°F.  Sorbet cycle, spin time = 2:24

I took advantage of the soft, post-spin texture to transfer it out of the Creami beaker so I can re-use it.  

Preview of coming attractions:  I put three sherbet mixtures in to freeze.  All from Bestia.  Blackberry buttermilk, orange and lime. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

For scientific research, I pulled a tablespoon of both the ice cream and sorbet I made; still perfectly scoopable, no ice crystals, and delicious!

I've been doing quite a bit of that 'scientific research' myself. A spoonful at a time, where's the harm? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5