• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pacojet Competitor? The Ninja Creami

andrewk512

1 hour ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Well I caved and bought one. Should have it by next weekend.

Where did you buy from? Notice the Best Buy ones for $199 disappeared really quickly.

Two bases made for future spinning:

Fresh Ginger Frozen Yogurt from Dana Cree's Hello, My Name is Ice Cream.  For my half-batch, this is 200g full fat Greek yogurt and 100g cream.

Creamy Dreamy Lemon Ice Cream from a recipe found on the Ice Cream Making Dummies Facebook group. It is a custard base but cooked sous vide @ 150°F for 2 hrs rather than on the stovetop. 

I used Avacream as the stabilizer for both.  I also plan to try swirling in some lemon curd (by hand) into the lemon ice cream and using the mix-in function to add some bits of crystalized ginger into the frozen yogurt. I will steam the ginger to soften it, cut it into very small cubes and see what happens.  I will report back. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I will report back. 

I will be anxious to hear how the yoghurt-ginger works out especially with the added crystallized ginger. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I spun this again tonight on the Lite setting and then used the mix-in setting to add mini rolos which I had cut in half.  That was a very satisfying taste of......I don't know what you would call it, exactly.  It is something I will make again.  Sorry the picture is so messy looking.

20211115_182334.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Yesterday I put up two batches - chocolate and salted caramel peanut butter at around 11:00am.  Spun them about 2:00 pm today and put them back in the freezer.  Tonight the SCPB was perfect, the chocolate was a bit hard.  Same base recipe with Paul Raphael's stabilizer formula and the flavoring additions were pretty similar:

SCPB:

1/4 cup peanut butter powder

1 tbs Torani Caramel Syrup

1/2 tsp salt

Chocolate:

1/4 cup cacao powder

1 tbs Torani Chocolate Syrup

1 tsp vanilla extract

pinch of salt

There must be something to the notion that chocolate hardens more.

• Like 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

Yesterday I put up two batches - chocolate and salted caramel peanut butter at around 11:00am.  Spun them about 2:00 pm today and put them back in the freezer.  Tonight the SCPB was perfect, the chocolate was a bit hard.  Same base recipe with Paul Raphael's stabilizer formula and the flavoring additions were pretty similar:

SCPB:

1/4 cup peanut butter powder

1 tbs Torani Caramel Syrup

1/2 tsp salt

Chocolate:

1/4 cup cacao powder

1 tbs Torani Chocolate Syrup

1 tsp vanilla extract

pinch of salt

There must be something to the notion that chocolate hardens more.

I don't understand why you are putting your ice cream back in the freezer after spinning.  Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the Ninja?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I don't understand why you are putting your ice cream back in the freezer after spinning.  Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the Ninja?

Because I don’t eat anywhere close to the whole pint at one sitting. A pint will last me a week or two.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

6 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Because I don’t eat anywhere close to the whole pint at one sitting. A pint will last me a week or two.

Have you tried filling only a portion of the container?

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Have you tried filling only a portion of the container?

I know you didn't ask me but I read a report from someone who contacted Ninja and was told that the minimum quantity is ~ 1/4 full, which I take as ~ 1/2 cup.  I haven't tried it yet but will probably take advantage of that smaller volume range to try adding different amounts of ingredients that can be mixed in at the end, like alcoholic beverages.  For example, today, I mixed up a poor approximation of @paulraphael's chocolate ice cream and would like to try it on its own and with green Chartreuse. Or maybe Grand Mariner?  Partially full containers should make it possible to play around with that. 

• Like 2

Hi everyone.  New here.  Lots of great info in this thread.

I bought my wife the Creami for Christmas here in Canada at Walmart for $199 CDN.  I have a few questions for the folks that have been using it for awhile.

I'm seeing lots of info and the pics look yummy so I'm assuming everyone that has purchased it are happy with it?  Would buy it again?

Is the ice cream comparable to or better than the higher end store bought (Ben and Jerry's) ?

The model I bought has 7 pre-sets.  I see the model on the Ninja site shows 5 pre-sets.  Anyone know what the differences are?  I'm wondering if I should try to pick up the model with only 5 and save some money.  Or perhaps it's the Canadian version with 7 ?

Thanks for any responses and look forward to reading more in this thread!  When my wife fires it up I'll post some pics of her creations!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gordo said:

The model I bought has 7 pre-sets.  I see the model on the Ninja site shows 5 pre-sets.  Anyone know what the differences are?

Welcome to the forums!  Here’s the page from the manual that explains the presets:

492C4430-8915-4ECF-B0BC-72B74E270743.thumb.jpeg.4de3672b388ca5d0bfd076778612c810.jpeg

So far, I’m very pleased with it. I've used ice cream and sorbet recipes from a number of good sources and they have worked well. The recipes on the website aren’t that appealing to me but I appreciate that many people have dietary restrictions that don’t allow them to have conventional ice cream and it seems you can make frozen desserts from all sorts of things. 

1 hour ago, Gordo said:

The model I bought has 7 pre-sets.  I see the model on the Ninja site shows 5 pre-sets.  Anyone know what the differences are?  I'm wondering if I should try to pick up the model with only 5 and save some money.  Or perhaps it's the Canadian version with 7 ?

Thanks for any responses and look forward to reading more in this thread!  When my wife fires it up I'll post some pics of her creations!

The 7 pre-set models have added gelato and smoothy bowl settings.

48 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

No, but the prep wouldn't be worth filling only a servings worth.  

Make a full recipe.  Pour it equally into four containers.

41 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Not an efficient use of freezer space or container cost.

You might be better served with a conventional ice cream freezer such as the Cuisinart ICE-100.