• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pacojet Competitor? The Ninja Creami

andrewk512

I spun or rather, re-spun the dulce de leche ice cream I had made up a while ago.  I thought it was icy but it may not have been the recipe's fault.  The recipe as written did not taste much of dulce de leche.  John incorporated some homemade caramel sauce in an attempt to boost the flavour.  The flavour is good now but a bit icy.  Re-spinning it helped a bit but didn't solve the problem completely.  I decided to melt it down, re-freeze and then re-spin and see what happens.

I also made lemon ice cream with limoncello and spun that today.  Delicious.

• Like 5

Strawberry

Strawberry09272021.jpg

Profoundly disappointing.  Flavor was good, sweetness was right on.  Texture was waxy.  Like eating a strawberry scented candle.  The little globules one can see, I believe, are bits of butterfat.

True, I spun on the "sorbet" setting while the recipe called for "ice cream".  I doubt that is the reason.  I get the same poor results with conventionally made ice cream when I don't homogenize the base.

Any idea where I went wrong?  It could be because I used real cream instead of ultra pasteurized.

I also learned that focus stacking is incompatible with ice cream.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

35 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Strawberry

Profoundly disappointing.  Flavor was good, sweetness was right on.  Texture was waxy.  Like eating a strawberry scented candle.  The little globules one can see, I believe, are bits of butterfat.

True, I spun on the "sorbet" setting while the recipe called for "ice cream".  I doubt that is the reason.  I get the same poor results with conventionally made ice cream when I don't homogenize the base.

Any idea where I went wrong?  It could be because I used real cream instead of ultra pasteurized.

There is a post on the FB group today reporting a similar effect, that some of their cream recipes are essentially turning into butter. I think you need to do a cooked base if you are going to use dairy.

The only dairy recipe I've tried was the philidelphia base in my original post which I heated to 190 then held at 170 for 15 minutes so I can't really comment further

• Thanks 1

I've only taken the baby step so far of making mango sorbet from a can of diced mangoes, but we were pleased with it. The first spin was powdery - what an odd texture for sorbet! - but respinning, and then judicious scooping, hid the evidence.This weekend is our family wood-cutting weekend. We have a family member who can't take lactose, and she and I are eager to try some of the non-dairy recipes.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 9/26/2021 at 8:11 PM, ElsieD said:

I have never in my life had matcha let alone matcha ice cream.   What does it taste like?  (I know, I should get out more.)

I am not good with describing the taste but internet comes to the rescue.  Earthy, sweet and slightly bitter.  Haagen Dazs makes matcha ice cream and should be easy to find.  Van Leeuwen makes earl grey ice cream which is  divine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Strawberry

Strawberry09272021.jpg

Mine did not look like that.  There were no buttery bits.  I don't use ultra pasteurized anything so can't comment on that.  When eating the ice cream, it left a bit of a film on our tongues, presumably from the butterfat but it didn't bother either one of us.  It was spun on "ice cream".  Here's a picture of what mine looked like:

20210917_202330.jpg

• Thanks 1

Second attempt at sugar-free chocolate.  This time I reduced the amount of stabilizer by half (but it still thickened in the blender) and doubled the amount of glycerin.  It spun very loose, like fresh churned.  After freezing for 5 hours it had firmed up will and was easy to scoop but just a tiny bit icy.  This afternoon I respun it and the texture is greatly improved.  It's back in the freezer and we'll see wat it's like in 6 hours or so.  

The key so far seems to be a respin after refreezing.

Pics, after initial spin and first scoop.

nc-choc-sf-pint.jpg.f8d86e3cf30f8735144ab3b20a9711c4.jpg

nc-choc-sf-scoop.jpg.796da34c5d716a17e395f7ea6db582be.jpg

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

On 9/27/2021 at 12:07 PM, ElsieD said:

I also made lemon ice cream with limoncello and spun that today.  Delicious.

Would you be willing to share your recipe?  I'm going to get together on Friday with a friend who gave me homemade limoncello and would love to share some ice cream if my Ninja Creami arrives in time. My major donation will be peach & bourbon popsicles so it's no big deal if it doesn't work for me but I'd love to try!

• Like 2

Our family's annual wood-cutting/splitting/stacking cum gluttony gathering is scheduled for this weekend. My DIL is excited to try some lactose-free recipes, starting with the coffee ice cream in Ninja's recipe book. She also thinks the idea of sorbet is a great idea. i am most of the way through the mango sorbet I made. It is icy around the edges, and difficult to scoop after sitting in the container for nearly a week...but it has an ethereal texture and taste. What a simple thing to make from a can of diced mangoes!

I've committed one pint jar to respun peach custard for ice cream; that's already in the freezer. Another pint is for the aforementioned coffee ice cream. The third is still occupied with mango sorbet. I now understand the desire for A LOT of extra pint jars. Alas, the web site says they're on back order.

Ninja has given me a 10% discount code toward more pint jars when they're in stock. Since the booklet says to register your Ninja CREAMi for a coupon for more jars, I've accused Ninja of false advertising. I know how far that's gotten @Kerry Beal and @mgaretz so far, but I figure it's worth a try.

• Like 3

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 9/28/2021 at 2:19 PM, mgaretz said:

The key so far seems to be a respin after refreezing.

I respun this last night and then tasted it tonight.  Still nice and scoopable with no hint of iciness.  I am not totally happy with the taste compared to sugar.  A blend of sugar fee sweetener and real sugar may be the answer.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

8 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Ninja has given me a 10% discount code toward more pint jars when they're in stock. Since the booklet says to register your Ninja CREAMi for a coupon for more jars, I've accused Ninja of false advertising. I know how far that's gotten @Kerry Beal and @mgaretz so far, but I figure it's worth a try.

Technically, I suppose they are giving out a coupon for more jars - it just happens to be a 10% off coupon rather than a coupon for free jars but I agree the come-on sounds like it would be the latter and wish you well in your efforts!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I tried again to make something potable out of my strawberry wax candle.  I added milk and processed a couple times on the milkshake setting.  Better, but nothing good.  I think the Ninja is OK but the recipe is horrible.

• Sad 2

@ElsieD, I'll let you know how it comes out. I used our family's longstanding recipe for peach ice cream, I think. It's been sitting in the deep freeze, waiting to be churned, for over a year...what happens when I overdo the peach purchases!

I heard back from Ninja Consumer Services regarding my accusation of false advertising:

Dear Nancy,

Thank you for your recent email.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We will definitively document your sentiment about our procedures and forward your feedback to the appropriate team so it can be taken into consideration for any future review of our options.

Should you have any further questions, you can reach out to our Customer Service team via phone, email, chat or social media, who are available Monday to Friday 9am-9pm ET and Saturday 9am-6pm ET.

Best regards,

Luis

Customer Service Team
SharkNinja Operating LLC

Think that might be a form letter? xD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally doing a custard base, so that I can top it with the coffee shoyu butterscotch from the Noma Guide to Fermentation

Vanilla Ice Cream (ratios from Ad Hoc) - 1c whole milk, 1c heavy cream, 1/2 minus 1tbsp sugar, 1tsp vanilla paste, 5 egg yolks.

I threw the ingredients in a sous vide bag and cooked at 185 for 50 minutes then blended and strained. It is freezing up and I'll update how it goes.

Are people curing their bases? I am feeling like I can skip the curing step considering the base is gonna be several hours in the freezer before it remotely begins to change to a solid.

Edited by andrewk512 (log)
  • Like 1

Just had some peach ice cream, made from peaches that really were tree-ripened.  It's very good.  Apologies to @Smithy, I did not end up using your mom's recipe, but rather the one I linked to below.  I made 1/2 of the recipe.

https://cookingbythebook.com/dessert-digest/lebovitzs-peach-ice-cream/

20211002_150656.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Added picture (log)
  • Like 9

Just made the same base in the Lello and the Ninja....
Very impressed with the ninja... just a very small hint ( really tiny) of ice crunch at the end with the ninja. (Maybe I should have respun it)

The Lello produces  denser ice cream. Maybe If I had spun the ninja on the Gelato setting.

Used a slightly modified Strawberry IceCream from Dana Cree, omitted buttermilk but increased the lemon juice.

IMG_1683.thumb.jpeg.9cbe4d96174bd779467a030156c5118b.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, KAD said:

Just made the same base in the Lello and the Ninja....
Very impressed with the ninja... just a very small hint ( really tiny) of ice crunch at the end with the ninja. (Maybe I should have respun it)

The Lello produces  denser ice cream. Maybe If I had spun the ninja on the Gelato setting.

Used a slightly modified Strawberry IceCream from Dana Cree, omitted buttermilk but increased the lemon juice.

IMG_1683.thumb.jpeg.9cbe4d96174bd779467a030156c5118b.jpeg

Is that the recipe from page 112 of her book "Hello, my Name is Ice Cream"?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Is that the recipe from page 112 of her book "Hello, my Name is Ice Cream"?

In my Kindle copy of Cree the recipe on page 112 is vanilla.  Page 212 is bubblegum, which calls for strawberry puree.

I have a large amount of strawberries rotting in the refrigerator, leftover from my failed Ninja strawberry experiment.

7 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

In my Kindle copy of Cree the recipe on page 112 is vanilla.  Page 212 is bubblegum, which calls for strawberry puree.

I have a large amount of strawberries rotting in the refrigerator, leftover from my failed Ninja strawberry experiment.

The recipe on page 112 is actually called strawberry sherbert.  It was the only strawberry recipe I could find that called for buttermilk.