• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pacojet Competitor? The Ninja Creami

andrewk512

11 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

You bet it does.  You were also responsible for our Philips Avance Grill too.  Well, ok, you and everyone else but still.... ;)

I'd forgotten about that!  I bought that too!

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Honkman said:

I never really use Facebook and tried to find those two groups - do you have links ? (Just want to see some of the recipes to see if the creami might be worth buying

https://www.facebook.com/groups/288792436339054

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ninjacreamicommunity

Here are a couple.  I could not find a link that I could copy but if you search on Facebook for Ninja Creami Group/Recipes the site should pop up.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Honkman said:

I never really use Facebook and tried to find those two groups - do you have links ? (Just want to see some of the recipes to see if the creami might be worth buying

https://www.facebook.com/groups/366957831711451

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1228781500908535

Someone on FB also called QVC and confirmed that the 1000watts was an error, only thing different is the color

I did two sorbets today - a prickly pear sorbet and a new watermelon recipe. I am pretty happy with how these turned out and I think I am getting the hang of the machine.

Processed at -16c and came out at ~-11c. I left them in the freezer for a bit to reharden to -16C. Ideally I'd process colder but I think I was opening my freezer too much. They were still nice and soft despite ideal serving temp being calculated to -12C.

There is a small amount of ice crystals but overall I'm very satisfied considering these are both very high water low solids ingredients. Much better than my freezer bowl machine and much easier; not as good as my peach sorbet I did on the initial run though. I am going to purchase some inulin and start experimenting to see if I can get an even denser creamier texture with watery fruit sorbets.

Oh also I am processing with the sorbet button now. I realized the manual suggests this has a much faster blade RPM and longer process time.

I now have 4 sorbets in my freezer and an ice cream so I think this is the part where I start eating things before making any more.

20210913_200552.jpg

20210913_201656.jpg

Edited by andrewk512 (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

22 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The power difference could be a simple mistake.  Or it could be because, if I recall, the device has two motors, and the specification says:  "1,000W total power".

The blue color is nice though.

Indeed, it seems the power difference was a mistake.  The text on the QVC page now reads 800 W Total Power

Ooops.  I missed @andrewk512's post just above with the same info.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, andrewk512 said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/366957831711451

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1228781500908535

Someone on FB also called QVC and confirmed that the 1000watts was an error, only thing different is the color

I did two sorbets today - a prickly pear sorbet and a new watermelon recipe. I am pretty happy with how these turned out and I think I am getting the hang of the machine.

Processed at -16c and came out at ~-11c. I left them in the freezer for a bit to reharden to -16C. Ideally I'd process colder but I think I was opening my freezer too much. They were still nice and soft despite ideal serving temp being calculated to -12C.

There is a small amount of ice crystals but overall I'm very satisfied considering these are both very high water low solids ingredients. Much better than my freezer bowl machine and much easier; not as good as my peach sorbet I did on the initial run though. I am going to purchase some inulin and start experimenting to see if I can get an even denser creamier texture with watery fruit sorbets.

Oh also I am processing with the sorbet button now. I realized the manual suggests this has a much faster blade RPM and longer process time.

I now have 4 sorbets in my freezer and an ice cream so I think this is the part where I start eating things before making any more.

20210913_200552.jpg

20210913_201656.jpg

Do I understand correctly that you are using the sorbet setting for ice cream?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do I understand correctly that you are using the sorbet setting for ice cream?

Just tried it with these 2 sorbets so far but I think I will be using it for all ice creams too. Eventually I'd like to test the differences since the only thing the manual says is that the sorbet button spins faster/longer than ice cream but I'll probably need more containers first

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

You bet it does.  You were also responsible for our Philips Avance Grill too.  Well, ok, you and everyone else but still.... ;)

No, no, no.  @JoNorvelleWalker gets the credit for that one!  I've actually been using the Ninja Foodi Grill a lot more.  Costco has them on sale again this month for $139.

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

13 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

No, no, no.  @JoNorvelleWalker gets the credit for that one!  I've actually been using the Ninja Foodi Grill a lot more.  Costco has them on sale again this month for $139.

You need to start a new thread for that device, then ;)  Our Philips is still going strong (I've replaced the non-stick grid) but my son wishes it was bigger so he could grill more things (like,  6 burgers instead of 4.)

15 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Actually, @Kerry Beal

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

eG's enablers 

usually only enable the best stuff .

usually .

and :  One step @ a time :

IMG_0286.thumb.jpg.d9723c685ca6ded20c6860002af4c810.jpg

I think this is close to an ideal size.

pretty easy to get at least one , level , in may freezer

and BTW :  alerts on the jar , ( heavy , nice tight fitting lid )

are in English , and French 

nice.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, rotuts said:

eG's enablers 

usually only enable the best stuff .

usually .

and :  One step @ a time :

IMG_0286.thumb.jpg.d9723c685ca6ded20c6860002af4c810.jpg

I think this is close to an ideal size.

pretty easy to get at least one , level , in may freezer

and BTW :  alerts on the jar , ( heavy , nice tight fitting lid )

are in English , and French 

nice.

How big across are they when you set a jar on the measuring tape?  3 1/2"?  And how tall do they measure?  Just got word that mine shipped today.

19 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I could only hold out so long.  Miffed that my expected delivery date is 9/27.  But this gives plenty of time to figure out a place to put it!

10 minutes ago, KennethT said:

you could always replace your bed with a captain's bed (which has drawers) - lots more room for storage!

This story about a gentleman who set up a full woodworking shop in his apartment aired on local radio a while ago. Of course, @JoNorvelleWalker came immediately to mind. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

using my Trusty Granton utility knife 

in the can , not the beaker

I thought the idea was to use a blender to puree everything before freezing?

• Confused 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?