• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pacojet Competitor? The Ninja Creami

andrewk512

https://www.qvc.com/Ninja-Foodi-Creami-Frozen-Treat-Maker-with-Extra-Pint-Ice-Cream-Bowls.product.K55255.html?sc=SRCH

Looks like we bought too early - 1000W version for sale with 5 containers at the ?same price (current machine is 800W). They don't sell to Canada though, returning my current machine internationally and coordinating cross border shipping seems too onerous.

I'm gonna wait this out... will upgrade later in winter if reviews show its worth it and then I'll sell my current machine locally or give it to my mom

• Like 6

I bought this on release and have been playing around with it for a week or so. I can say that I'm very happy with it. I've been using Pacojet recipes reduced to 0.7x and I've been surprised how well they come out . . . but generally only after a spin and a re-spin (some less dense custard recipes have required only one spin). Texture has ranged from perfect to very good and there is no need for hydrocolloid stabilizers in your base . . . eat what you want, refreeze the rest solid, and spin it again brand new when you want to eat the rest. The only downside I can see is the need to wait 24 hours for the base to freeze, but the rest is win-win. This is the miracle that home ice cream cooks who have long lusted over an unobtainable and/or impractical Pacojet have been waiting decades for.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, andrewk512 said:

https://www.qvc.com/Ninja-Foodi-Creami-Frozen-Treat-Maker-with-Extra-Pint-Ice-Cream-Bowls.product.K55255.html?sc=SRCH

Looks like we bought too early - 1000W version for sale with 5 containers at the ?same price (current machine is 800W). They don't sell to Canada though, returning my current machine internationally and coordinating cross border shipping seems too onerous.

I'm gonna wait this out... will upgrade later in winter if reviews show its worth it and then I'll sell my current machine locally or give it to my mom

The power difference could be a simple mistake.  Or it could be because, if I recall, the device has two motors, and the specification says:  "1,000W total power".

The blue color is nice though.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The power difference could be a simple mistake.  Or it could be because, if I recall, the device has two motors, and the specification says:  "1,000W total power".

The blue color is nice though.

Good point. They are listing the machine as 5lbs heavier too although I wouldn't be surprised if all the packaging weighed that much

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Is anyone familiar with qvc.com?

I ordered an item from them in 2005. It was something I was going to order elsewhere but when I checked, they were offering a better discount. 

I had no issues so no experience with their customer service or returns policy. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2021 at 8:46 PM, ElsieD said:

Thank you but all sold out!  Same with Ninja Canada, Walmart, Canadian Tire.  Best Buy, although they carry lots of Ninja, no ice cream maker.

@ElsieD- just got a fresh 20% off coupon from BBB this morning and it appears that I could order from the online store with delivery this week sometime. Total is $235 CDN with coupon.

• Like 2

I wonder what's really going now the cvc model

i doubt , but have no info to support my doubt

that Ninja would come out w a more powerful model

so soon.  why confuse the confused ?

this might only be a color optional model.

and a special deal to cvc .  that's much easy to

manufacture.

still .....

any inside info appreciated.

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

@ElsieD- just got a fresh 20% off coupon from BBB this morning and it appears that I could order from the online store with delivery this week sometime. Total is $235 CDN with coupon.

Although I have signed up, I am still waiting for my coupon.  I may try calling them.

Did this Chris Young guy give any idea as far as a timeline for his teardown of the machine? I'm still sort of tempted to pick one up and bust it open, waiting for a BB coupon to show up in the mail, but if a YouTube video is around the corner it makes more sense to wait like Anna mentioned. Don't want to have to pay for my curiosity if I don't have to!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Yiannos said:

Did this Chris Young guy give any idea as far as a timeline for his teardown of the machine? I'm still sort of tempted to pick one up and bust it open, waiting for a BB coupon to show up in the mail, but if a YouTube video is around the corner it makes more sense to wait like Anna mentioned. Don't want to have to pay for my curiosity if I don't have to!

Haven't seen any mention of it on twitter, I think his original post about evaluating the machine was Aug 1

I am going to do my first savory test on the machine in 24hrs. Fennel oil - roughly equal parts fennel and canola oil, the fennel was blanched first. Into the freezer it goes. I see this being beneficial over a blender because you could easier process a small volume like 250ml20210913_114128.thumb.jpg.d76919903e8dc7c4d1a8da63ec88edbd.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Delicious 1

On 9/11/2021 at 9:32 PM, ElsieD said:

You are so right!  I need the coupon!  I signed up for it but I got one for the baby goods.  I'll try again.

I also ordered from BBB on Saturday and the Baby coupon worked..It is being delivered Sept 15

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, dhardy123 said:

I also ordered from BBB on Saturday and the Baby coupon worked..It is being delivered Sept 15

Why, thank you!  When I registered, they sent me a baby coupon which I ignored, not realizing I could use it for the Ninja.  I still haven't gotten the one I was waiting for.  No matter, it's been ordered, the discount was applied and it gets delivered between Wednesday and the weekend.  First up:  mango sorbet.

Alrighty then, @JeanneCakeyou're next!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Although I have signed up, I am still waiting for my coupon.  I may try calling them.

for BB&B, you should be using a 20% coupon on every order. ideally, you should split orders with multiple over-$39 items into multiple orders -- the coupon is 20% off a single item, and the free shipping threshold is $39.

i make a new account with a new email address every time, but i don't know if that's actually necessary.

coupon link:

https://offers.bedbathandbeyond.com/SignupWidget/dynamic/BBBUS-email-printable-offers_FEO

some brand exclusions apply (look at the list).

you have to wait a little. it does arrive within a day or so, though.

link to creami for convenience:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/ninja-creami-ice-cream-maker-in-silver/5628259

Edited by jaw (log)
  • Like 1

There are two  Ninja Creami Facebook groups.  I fell down the rabbit hole today and read about some of the concoctions they come up with.  Makes for interesting reading.

@Kerry Beal  Re:  your Mango sorbet.  You used canned mango and nothing else?  I have a can of Alphonso in the cupboard and that is the first thing I'm going to make.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

There are two  Ninja Creami Facebook groups.  I fell down the rabbit hole today and read about some of the concoctions they come up with.  Makes for interesting reading.

@Kerry Beal  Re:  your Mango sorbet.  You used canned mango and nothing else?  I have a can of Alphonso in the cupboard and that is the first thing I'm going to make.  

I did - but it was so intense that I thought I might dilute a bit next time. But you can always melt down and add something.  

• Like 1

as mentioned above :

"""  But you can always melt down and add something. ""

i think this is one of the potential Ci's 

strengths :

save it  , fix it up tomorrow

and from then on.

you can't put back the stuff you made

nice as it is

in the ice cream machine 

you have

or take it back to the 

Parlor you got it from

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Why, thank you!  When I registered, they sent me a baby coupon which I ignored, not realizing I could use it for the Ninja.  I still haven't gotten the one I was waiting for.  No matter, it's been ordered, the discount was applied and it gets delivered between Wednesday and the weekend.  First up:  mango sorbet.

Alrighty then, @JeanneCakeyou're next!

Done!  Should have it Thursday or Friday based on BBB's shipping.

After the crazy wedding weekends we are having, I'm adding canned mango to  my curbside order and am hoping for the best on Sunday!

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

Done!  Should have it Thursday or Friday based on BBB's shipping.

After the crazy wedding weekends we are having, I'm adding canned mango to  my curbside order and am hoping for the best on Sunday!

Congratulations!  We can compare notes!  These people on eGullet are the worst bunch of enablers I have ever come across.😁

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

These people on eGullet are the worst bunch of enablers I have ever come across.

I guess that makes me guilty!  😉

This afternoon I whipped up a batch of peanut butter salted caramel ice cream, but instead of using my usual soft-serve mix I used sugar plus the powdered coconut oil and the Perfect Sorbet stabilizer.  No cream, just almond milk.  If that works then I will move onto the sugar substitute - the goal being a low sugar non-dairy ice cream that doesn't suck!

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

29 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

I guess that makes me guilty!  😉

This afternoon I whipped up a batch of peanut butter salted caramel ice cream, but instead of using my usual soft-serve mix I used sugar plus the powdered coconut oil and the Perfect Sorbet stabilizer.  No cream, just almond milk.  If that works then I will move onto the sugar substitute - the goal being a low sugar non-dairy ice cream that doesn't suck!

You bet it does.  You were also responsible for our Philips Avance Grill too.  Well, ok, you and everyone else but still.... ;)

• Haha 3