• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

randomwalk

randomwalk

pic fix

Update on the chocolate -- good, intense flavor!  It doesn't seem to have mattered that much that I used half milk chocolate instead of all bittersweet.  Whew.  However, the texture is really thick and I think it's because I let the mixture get too hot.  (That happens to me sometimes -- I get the milk/cream too hot, temper the eggs, pour them into the pot, and then realize the whole thing exceeds my target of 170ish.)  Too bad!  But it's still really good, and should be still great for milkshakes.

We also made mint ice cream this weekend, using the mint ice cream in Perfect Scoop.  When I tasted the mixture, I was worried it was going to be too vegetal -- that's how we felt about the ginger ice cream from PS, it was eery because it tasted exactly like ginger but had the texture of ice cream instead of the stringy, woody texture of ginger...  But, thankfully, it wasn't too vegetal at all.  It felt like a very pure mint flavor, not at all artificial.  Hubby declared it his favorite yet.  We also put some cacao nibs on top (I think I remember Blue Dolphin doing the same and I'd been meaning to try) and it was delicious.  I overcooked this mixture too, a little, but it didn't have the same effect as with the chocolate.  Maybe the solids of the chocolate also play a role?

Hubby said that each ice cream is better than the last, and asked me how I got so good at ice cream.  🤣  It's obviously just the ninja creami and benefiting from some good cookbooks as well as this helpful community, but it's nice to feel appreciated at home!

Gosh, I'm so bad at taking pictures I almost don't want to post this!

PXL_20220927_014525717.MP.jpg

randomwalk

randomwalk

Update on the chocolate -- good, intense flavor!  It doesn't seem to have mattered that much that I used half milk chocolate instead of all bittersweet.  Whew.  However, the texture is really thick and I think it's because I let the mixture get too hot.  (That happens to me sometimes -- I get the milk/cream too hot, temper the eggs, pour them into the pot, and then realize the whole thing exceeds my target of 170ish.)  Too bad!  But it's still really good, and should be still great for milkshakes.

We also made mint ice cream this weekend, using the mint ice cream in Perfect Scoop.  When I tasted the mixture, I was worried it was going to be too vegetal -- that's how we felt about the ginger ice cream from PS, it was eery because it tasted exactly like ginger but had the texture of ice cream instead of the stringy, woody texture of ginger...  But, thankfully, it wasn't too vegetal at all.  It felt like a very pure mint flavor, not at all artificial.  Hubby declared it his favorite yet.  We also put some cacao nibs on top (I think I remember Blue Dolphin doing the same and I'd been meaning to try) and it was delicious.  I overcooked this mixture too, a little, but it didn't have the same effect as with the chocolate.  Maybe the solids of the chocolate also play a role?

Hubby said that each ice cream is better than the last, and asked me how I got so good at ice cream.  🤣  It's obviously just the ninja creami and benefiting from some good cookbooks as well as this helpful community, but it's nice to feel appreciated at home!

QwPk5lEY28Y3TsIP2ePKMLpN9nJSdZspvuH-_u9fSZA8rOBmMpIvWIfu9HDYukGsGyDCCkHyRDLFtNwummoh59S35miW7TFUQTKsNzrJsJ0ZvzSyszWNvOa1Ewfbc5WtqXQiFyLCkDzyoN8Dmx0p5xOOtnPiGELOj1dMe5H3xDuwO6COYuuwESmYKtt_sZzuMzJ11XjtukfqvduIMo8NeLUQAYb26cc4VlyPMxboslIefRe5pZ9tndrNRfiOKlKeEdzVshKxUA06bQy1KURT3sDtDdWaD6WbakdMBXrjoLlewt0iCO-DwwO9WEsaGudlmETBUD5-xP-n83KIQciPyd5-HxhCTlxXmD1dPjs-cU5vEHUPOnsjmp9XIOHQEcIO6LsPXxkiFc4WXHDz7W5fHN2RCjwNXBW7S3Gn814xQ5xCGJ76MSGg9lJ7gn-yL7GlXL651_pqqaFs51fZpCQaHlFmbsbdtkIYwU1r5AXDf-QV3aslPmXor5YQhXK0bbduleB3H38s9_b0Rd-3jip278rRWyCgyyhZ9dyobNkw59HpIODJJpCI0umG5WCsrA4cyvT__fXweYsZbs53-f0zZZefu6l3FeeIM98Q6HpwZYXdEpIn6J8RotBR7PuRjT8CO5QQIIXqU5d0lYTpw1YlaRjto_ABwcWwprmmbrJZYS-RereslvriscD-fxUpq944VUKBRi2iJid8YfGsdSpe304no8f2XaVOE3xgkU5l45LwgHVeKT5SW5S7Q5Qnn8DG5h7InZzQpwLPhcwplXTc96Lqku8g2n9QfqZXG0voDJlyZvjeO0BT4f3tXFmlWv30myOTFUMbWtr9IKh5kZLNgUL7gmT3Hfx1guHda7BtP0JoWNH_tdDaywUeADm3fWOrQt-HQPrRrfqVDi34ZZEvrQ1cEAz4eQISqS2cWIMFXw=w1367-h1820-no?authuser=0

randomwalk

randomwalk

Update on the chocolate -- good, intense flavor!  It doesn't seem to have mattered that much that I used half milk chocolate instead of all bittersweet.  Whew.  However, the texture is really thick and I think it's because I let the mixture get too hot.  (That happens to me sometimes -- I get the milk/cream too hot, temper the eggs, pour them into the pot, and then realize the whole thing exceeds my target of 170ish.)  Too bad!  But it's still really good, and should be still great for ice cream.

QwPk5lEY28Y3TsIP2ePKMLpN9nJSdZspvuH-_u9fSZA8rOBmMpIvWIfu9HDYukGsGyDCCkHyRDLFtNwummoh59S35miW7TFUQTKsNzrJsJ0ZvzSyszWNvOa1Ewfbc5WtqXQiFyLCkDzyoN8Dmx0p5xOOtnPiGELOj1dMe5H3xDuwO6COYuuwESmYKtt_sZzuMzJ11XjtukfqvduIMo8NeLUQAYb26cc4VlyPMxboslIefRe5pZ9tndrNRfiOKlKeEdzVshKxUA06bQy1KURT3sDtDdWaD6WbakdMBXrjoLlewt0iCO-DwwO9WEsaGudlmETBUD5-xP-n83KIQciPyd5-HxhCTlxXmD1dPjs-cU5vEHUPOnsjmp9XIOHQEcIO6LsPXxkiFc4WXHDz7W5fHN2RCjwNXBW7S3Gn814xQ5xCGJ76MSGg9lJ7gn-yL7GlXL651_pqqaFs51fZpCQaHlFmbsbdtkIYwU1r5AXDf-QV3aslPmXor5YQhXK0bbduleB3H38s9_b0Rd-3jip278rRWyCgyyhZ9dyobNkw59HpIODJJpCI0umG5WCsrA4cyvT__fXweYsZbs53-f0zZZefu6l3FeeIM98Q6HpwZYXdEpIn6J8RotBR7PuRjT8CO5QQIIXqU5d0lYTpw1YlaRjto_ABwcWwprmmbrJZYS-RereslvriscD-fxUpq944VUKBRi2iJid8YfGsdSpe304no8f2XaVOE3xgkU5l45LwgHVeKT5SW5S7Q5Qnn8DG5h7InZzQpwLPhcwplXTc96Lqku8g2n9QfqZXG0voDJlyZvjeO0BT4f3tXFmlWv30myOTFUMbWtr9IKh5kZLNgUL7gmT3Hfx1guHda7BtP0JoWNH_tdDaywUeADm3fWOrQt-HQPrRrfqVDi34ZZEvrQ1cEAz4eQISqS2cWIMFXw=w1367-h1820-no?authuser=0