• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andrewk512

andrewk512

6 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I mixed up a batch of this and put it in the freezer to spin tomorrow. It seems quite salty and I wish I’d used less. 5.5g salt in a pint is a lot. There's a comment on YouTube that says it's disgustingly salty. I wouldn’t go quite that far. Cooled down to 25F and starting to freeze, I’d describe the flavor as salted caramel coffee. We'll see how it tastes after spinning.
For comparison, the Hello, My Name is Ice Cream recipe for avocado-grapefruit sherbet that I made last week uses 2g salt/pint. I thought that was a lot but it doesn’t taste salty at all, just accents the savory notes of the avocado and tempers the bitterness of the grapefruit.  
I’ll report back. 

5.5g salt is hefty, seems like salt would become one of the labelled flavors at that point

I made the popcorn ice cream in HMNIIC this week. Tasted a bit like kettle corn or caramel corn. I cheated and used microwaved popcorn. First process was powdery and so I tried processing again but got no improvement. I find when starchy things are blended in that I get this sort of texture - happened with a doughnut ice cream and with a koji ice cream. It was interesting, perhaps as part of a plated dessert, but not something I'd sit down to eat spoonfuls of. My gf felt it was waxy, maybe because of the blending in of the popcorn and then the multiple processings.

Unrelated, regarding serving temps: this week's Cooking Issues briefly mentions the Ninja Creami at the end. Dave suggests you cannot make an ice cream in the Creami that has a post-processing temp of -18C because the blades would heat things up too much. My first ice creams in the Creami had ideal post-processing temp of -18C and came out fine. I think the key is to chill them in a deep freeze, their preprocessing temps were around -30 to -36C, achievable in my small cheap Costco deep freeze. Regardless, I am not sure this is a great idea anyway due to potential to wear out the Creami motor.

I have this theory that actually the post-processing temp of a dessert in the Creami is more of an inherent function of the ice cream mix than the pre-processing temp and Creami motor action, but have not tested this thoroughly. I moved closer to a post-processing target of -13C after I found that ice creams at this temp had a longer freezer life, and on reading that warmer temps are more ideal for flavor release (and they require less solids added which would also affect flavor release). I enjoy ice cream even warmer at around -10 C but am not comfortable keeping my kitchen freezer this warm. I have a small third freezer in my basement that targets -10C which I keep ice creams in from time to time if I am serving a lot of people, the ice cream never stays in that freezer long term though - it functions a bit like a dipping cabinet.

20220814_115948.jpg

andrewk512

andrewk512

6 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I mixed up a batch of this and put it in the freezer to spin tomorrow. It seems quite salty and I wish I’d used less. 5.5g salt in a pint is a lot. There's a comment on YouTube that says it's disgustingly salty. I wouldn’t go quite that far. Cooled down to 25F and starting to freeze, I’d describe the flavor as salted caramel coffee. We'll see how it tastes after spinning.
For comparison, the Hello, My Name is Ice Cream recipe for avocado-grapefruit sherbet that I made last week uses 2g salt/pint. I thought that was a lot but it doesn’t taste salty at all, just accents the savory notes of the avocado and tempers the bitterness of the grapefruit.  
I’ll report back. 

5.5g salt is hefty, seems like salt would become one of the labelled flavors at that point

I made the popcorn ice cream in HMNIIC this week. Tasted a bit like kettle corn or caramel corn. I cheated and used microwaved popcorn. First process was powdery and so I tried processing again but got no improvement. I find when starchy things are blended in that I get this sort of texture - happened with a doughnut ice cream and with a koji ice cream. It was interesting, perhaps as part of a plated dessert, but not something I'd sit down to eat spoonfuls of. My gf felt it was waxy, maybe because of the blending in of the popcorn and then the multiple processings.

Regarding serving temps: this week's Cooking Issues briefly mentions the Ninja Creami at the end. Dave suggests you cannot make an ice cream in the Creami that has a post-processing temp of -18C because the blades would heat things up too much. My first ice creams in the Creami had ideal post-processing temp of -18C and came out fine. I think the key is to chill them in a deep freeze, their preprocessing temps were around -30 to -36C, achievable in my small cheap Costco deep freeze. Regardless, I am not sure this is a great idea anyway due to potential to wear out the Creami motor.

I have this theory that actually the post-processing temp of a dessert in the Creami is more of an inherent function of the ice cream mix than the pre-processing temp and Creami motor action, but have not tested this thoroughly. I moved closer to a post-processing target of -13C after I found that ice creams at this temp had a longer freezer life, and on reading that warmer temps are more ideal for flavor release (and they require less solids added which would also affect flavor release). I enjoy ice cream even warmer at around -10 C but am not comfortable keeping my kitchen freezer this warm. I have a small third freezer in my basement that targets -10C which I keep ice creams in from time to time if I am serving a lot of people, the ice cream never stays in that freezer long term though - it functions a bit like a dipping cabinet.

20220814_115948.jpg

andrewk512

andrewk512

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I’ll report back. 

Regarding serving temps: this week's Cooking Issues briefly mentions the Ninja Creami at the end. Dave suggests you cannot make an ice cream in the Creami that has a post-processing temp of -18C because the blades would heat things up too much. My first ice creams in the Creami had ideal post-processing temp of -18C and came out fine. I think the key is to chill them in a deep freeze, their preprocessing temps were around -30 to -36C, achievable in my small cheap Costco deep freeze. I have this theory that actually the post-processing temp of a dessert in the Creami is more of an inherent function of the ice cream mix than the pre-processing temp and Creami motor action, but have not tested this thoroughly. I moved closer to a post-processing target of -13C after I found that ice creams at this temp had a longer freezer life, and on reading that warmer temps are more ideal for flavor release (and they require less solids added which would also affect flavor release). I enjoy ice cream even warmer at around -10 C but am not comfortable keeping my kitchen freezer this warm. I have a small third freezer in my basement that targets -10C which I keep ice creams in from time to time if I am serving a lot of people, the ice cream never stays in that freezer long term though - it functions a bit like a dipping cabinet.

20220814_115948.jpg